Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been experimenting with steel recipes this year and I tried some data that is supposed to send 7/8 oz of steel out the barrel at 1700 fps. I used #4 and if my calculations are correct, this should be almost exactly the same number of pellets that would be contained in 1-1/8 oz of lead #6, which is an acceptable pattern for decoying ducks. I've been warned about "blown patterns" with this load but it has done a pretty good job on the limited number of ducks we had this year. Anyhow, I managed to recover a couple of the BPI wads and unlike every other spent wad I've ever seen, these are seriously deformed on the bottom and the seal lip is seriously distorted and out of round like they've been grabbed by a pair of pliers. I'm just curious if this has any meaning, or if I'm just worrying over nothing. I wish I'd kept a sample for a photo.

·
Registered
517 Posts
What gauge? 12??>>> I was buying Kent Fast Steel...1 1/16 OZ of #2 at 1525(I think) and it busts em, when jump shooting them.

I tried some #4 in 20 gage. I don't remember the specs. But, I shot at one bird this year (hunting w/my son and we were both using 20s). It immediately started to cartwheel, or corkscrew. Looking back, I think I ruined a wing and it may have still been alive. Anyway, I tracked the other birds w/it and didn't see where it landed...we never found it in the waist high brush.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, 2-3/4" 12 gauge.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts