Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, gonna show my supreme ignorance here... :confused:

Premise- If the marlin 336 action did not require special metallurgy in order to handle the 50,000 psi+ 375 Winchester, which I shoot and adore...

Q- Why can't we attain similar performing loads with a new, modern 336 action in 38-55? Brass cannot be the issue, because I see hear of too many shooters fireforming 30-30 brass and cranking up serious 375 Win loads with that.

If we can crank up the old gamegetter, I am selling my Winchester BB 375 and getting a Marlin!

Please, show me the rror of my ways.

Thanks, Jimmy ( in Alalabama where gun deer season just opened up...)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Well, Jimmy, first let me say that I really don't have any idea whatsoever.

But.... I can tell you, for sure, that you can make changes in the heat treat cycle of steel alloys and this can make a big difference in how it performs. Without a hardness tester and some analysis of the exact alloy you'll never know for sure.

There seems to be a general consensus in the land that the Marlins are good for ~40,000CUP or so. Hotter than that.... don't know. You can consider that the .38-55 (and .30-30 etc.) have a fairly small head size, and make up your own mind.

Really wish I knew, but I know just enough about the processes involved to not get carried away with my own reloads (336 /35 Rem).

Good luck with deer season.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, Charlie, I did... but I am looking at some serious 375 winchester loads that could be duplicated in a 38-55 if the receiver is identical to that used in the 375 Marlin.

I've heard this heat treating stuff, back and forth, and don't know what to think.

I think the BB loads are good, but would want to handload to the same level.

What do you know? I am puzzled, love the Win BB 375, but really need a scope at some times to help my 40ish eyes.

I guess if I could find a Win BB angle eject I wouldn't worry about it so much!

By the way, your memory is way better than mine, I forgot about this post.

Touche' !!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
Keep in mind that the capacity of .38-55 brass vs. .375 brass may make a big difference.

Were I to embark on such a process, I think that I would search for the brass that gave the most capcity (.375 vs. .38-55 vs. assorted .30-30 fireformed).

Actually, looking at various loading manuals, it appears that the .38-55 isn't as far behind the .375 as you'd suspect. I think that the case capacity difference is somewhat responsible for this.

Ken Waters did report in one of his "Pet Loads" columns that he test-fired some .375 ammo in a .38-55, I forget what the gun was, but it went off OK without any apparent problems. Not that this would be a license to do the same, but at least it probably won't catastrophically fail at that pressure level. With the .38-55 bore and chamber dimensions generally being larger than a .375, that should lower the pressure somewhat.

Funny thing, most suggested loads for the .375 seem to the the lighter bullets for the caliber (220gr.) and traditional .38-55 is usually loaded with 255gr. So that makes it more difficult to get a fair comparison between the two.

·
Banned
556 Posts
Check the link above. Marshall is matching the 375 and prefers the 38-55 case (bigger, less pressure). He's getting 2050fps with his 250s.

The diff is in barrel twist. Waters had trouble with cast in his 375 and the 38-55 is built for it. In other words, the new 38-55s should be equivalent in vel and better with cast to the 375. Can anyone confirm in the "real" world?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts