Shooters Forum banner

81 - 83 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have been considering getting a Smith and Wesson 29 for a while. The only thing that's stopping me from pulling the trigger on one is the fact it's in 44 magnum. I have shot 40s&w and 45 ACP with no problems, and love shooting 45 colt out of my Uberti cattleman. I know that you can just load specials but I'm curious how manageable the recoil is with just standard 44 magnum ammo.
I am curious as to you want to buy a Smith And Wesson Model 29 but say that the only thing stopping you is the fact that it is a 44 Magnum ?

Maybe you Just Like the Double Action Large frame Smith And Wesson with a 6.5 inch barrel but don't know for a fact that you will enjoy shooting a 44 Magnum ?

Realize that there is a difference from being able to Withstand the recoil of a 44 magnum and actually enjoying shooting a 44 Magnum.

2 Possible solutions

Get a 44 Magnum and reload for it ,240 grain semi wadcutter at 800-900 FPS and not recoil much more than the calibers that you are used to shooting.

OR

What about this Revolver,This is sweet !

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearms/model-25-sw-classics-6-12-blue

With this one you get the Same Double action Large frame as the Model 29 with the 6.5 inch barrel but in a Classic Caliber that you already either load for or buy factory ammo for.

You can buy Factory Ammo for it from Mild to Wild ,Just stay away from Ruger only + P ammo.
Or Reload for it.

·
Registered
5,076 Posts
take your time and limit your shooting per session.
I'm pretty sure most shooters will have a limit when it comes to .44M+ loads in portable handguns. Shooting my 10" SBH , is nothing like the same loads in my 4" M69. My M69 is very tame with some loads, and no fun at all with top end loads.

10-15 rounds with my M69 and "grizzly repellent" loads is pretty much it for me. And I don't shoot my way through that many, shooting fast.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My opinion on handgun recoil is that you develop strength and/or resilience to it in your forearms. This could be complete crap, but I don't think it is because you know (or at least I do) that, after a decent session with a heavy hitter, you can feel it in your forearms. Well, duh. But my point is, you're probably not going to go the range and empty a box of decent 44 Mag if that's the first time you've fired one, or if you're not fully acclimated to shooting a lot of, say, 10mm Auto. I feel that the shooter definitely grows into it, becomes more tolerant of it, and may even grow to fully enjoy a nice heavy recoil. I've heard comments like "I shot one once, I didn't like it." Well, the first few times I fired my No 1 in 45-70 with a full-up cape buffalo load, I didn't much care for getting the snot knocked out of me, either.

I enjoy few guns more than my 629, but it's a heavy Hunter model. As was said above, not all 44s are the same. But, I'm now fully accustomed to my Ruger Alaskan in 44, and while it's a brick, it's a short barrel little guy just the same. It's a different kind of shooting--you're not generally doing Bill Drills with a Mod 29, just enjoying the moment. It is a wonderful cartridge, with handloading options out the wazoo. Do it. If you go at with the intent of learning to shoot it, you will grow to truly enjoy it, I believe. That said, some folks really 'like' recoil, some don't. It puts a big smile on my face, literally...so I'm one of 'those'.

Some smart-guy co-worker handed me a scandium frame 44 with very hot handloads, and it was I think the first time I fired a 44 Mag in about 45 years. I went through a couple dozen rounds, and felt fine. By the time it was time to hoist my first pint of the evening, I could most-definitely feel it. That's a severe case: lightest gun heaviest load, no practice. Not an example to make a decision on.

I actually keep looking for them and buying them--just bought a 29-3 a month ago in fact--and not a big guy (5'9" 185 lbs). 44 is a handloading dream, perfect cast bullet launcher, fun to shoot, accurate--and well, wheelguns are still cool and 44 Rem Mag is about as perfect a match to a reasonably-sized revolver as there is, in my view.

I think there should probably be a 29 in your future...

81 - 83 of 83 Posts