Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a model 62 Winchester 22 pump. One shell is in the chamber, the extractor did not pull it out, and there is another shell stacked in behind it, wanting to load. How do I fix this? It appears I will have to disassemble the action to remove it, does anyone know how to do it? Here is a photo of the problem.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Has the round in the chamber been discharged?

I don;t have a lot of experience with that model so I don't know how involved taking down the action is, but it is tube fed, right? So if you unload the tube mag and remove the follower, can you move the action to take the second round back to the feeding part of the cycle? You may have to push the round down while moving the action, or some other combination of movements.

Another idea, the bullet of a 22lr does not have a whole lot of purchase in the case and can be pulled out fairly easily with a pair of needle nose pliers. This might leave you room to get the case out. While you will spill the powder down into the action, this may still be easier than taking it all down.

Once you relieve the second round, you can focus on the chambered one. Run your cleaning rod down from the muzzle and push it out. Don't use a screwdriver or side cutters or anything else to pry it out. If you really need to, you can use pliers after getting enough of the case out of the chamber to ensure that you are not going to damage the gun.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The problem is that the action is as far back as it will go, and the mechanism that lifts the shell from the tube is covering most of the round, and nothing will move in any direction.

·
Registered
517 Posts
On a Rossi, you can sometimes push down on the follower...the thingy that has a bullet to be loaded in it, while you jiggle the action and somtimes the follower will go back down.

That said, take it apart. Take the screw out and then it will come out. I have noticed, has the shell in it been fired? Either way, once you get it out, use the tip of a thin knife blade to pull the shell out. Now, the rim of the shell has is the primer, be careful and don't squosh the rim, or the thing will go off...and then it will come out of the chamber, just like a bullet...YOU BETCHA

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I finally came up with the following instructions:

Unscrew the big thumb-screw on the left rear of the receiver and pull the gun apart in the middle. The loaded round will fall out.
Once you pull it apart, knock the empty case out with a cleaning rod.
It is designed to be easily taken down for storage, cleaning, etc.
You can't hurt anything.

I tried this and it worked!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts