Shooters Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are y'all doing?

For about a year, I've been budgeting about 25$ a week for 50 rnds of 5.56 every week.

I decided that I'd be better off keeping that 25$ every week in my account to by bulk ammo at some point.

I know of a few places to by bulk ammo, but I thought I'd ask about where y'all get your cheap bulk ammo?

And just to keep in mind, I'm not an ammo snob!

Thanks. y'all.

Value y'alls opinion.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
I understand your consternation and MAYBE your intent. I will only add this; I will NEVERprovide another link to any ammo found on line. If I had my way, I' d tell every forum member and shooter to do the same. Every time I've seen a link provided, it' s been sold out almost immediately, including some very off-beat cartridges. Believe it or not, I am no longer as dumb as I once was!

·
Registered
278 Posts
My best luck lately has been at local area gun shows. Prices still follow demand but I never felt like I was ripped off.

Typically only buy steel case 223 for plinking with the mini. Anything serious is a handloads in my long guns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can understand that, man. Any techniques you could share for gettin' cheap bulk ammo without specifics.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I was buying Wolf and Tula ammo for 308 from J&G Sales. I laid in a nice stock of the cheap steel cased Russian stuff for target shooting.
The prices are up even when you can find it now.

Jim

·
Registered
188 Posts
RELOAD, buy in bulk planning on reloading it for years to come. If you buy bulk reloading components now, you can bet the same components will cost 3-4 times more in 10 years. So stock up NOW, not 10 years from now.

Anything other than forward planning is a waste of time.

·
Registered
13,269 Posts
RELOAD, buy in bulk planning on reloading it for years to come. If you buy bulk reloading components now, you can bet the same components will cost 3-4 times more in 10 years. So stock up NOW, not 10 years from now.

Anything other than forward planning is a waste of time.
With all due respect, it is this kind of thinking that has driven up the cost of ammo, reloading components, and made 22 rimfire almost impossible to obtain.

Refuse to buy at inflated prices and don't buy more than you can use in 3 lifetimes...would be better advice for everyone to follow.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Start reloading now!

WHILE YOU STILL CAN. How do you define CHEAP? Steel cased/ corrosive powder/ made for EVERY gun of that caliber in the world? Once you bite the bullet & make the investment, that same 25$ a week will let you shoot much more of a higher quality cartridge, tailored specifically for YOUR rifle only. As I ALWAYS advise, take your time & shop around for a seasoned re-loader that has quit/died and buy EVERYTHING, repeat EVERYTHING he has/had soup to nuts at 1 time, most will already be set up. His log/recipe book may be the most valuable. To buy everything new/retail will nickel and dime you to death. Good luck.

·
Registered
188 Posts
With all due respect, it is this kind of thinking that has driven up the cost of ammo, reloading components, and made 22 rimfire almost impossible to obtain.

Refuse to buy at inflated prices and don't buy more than you can use in 3 lifetimes...would be better advice for everyone to follow.
All I have to say to you is "Good Luck"
I haven't had a single shortage in all the calibers that I reload, mainly because of forward thinking.

BTW, no where did I say buy 3 times more than you will need in a lifetime.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Reactions: dallassmith1993

·
Registered
14 Posts
At $25 for 50 rounds you are paying .50 cents per round.
If you keep an eye on these ammo search engines & buy in bulk as the prices drop.

In Stock 223/5.56 Ammo Deals | Slickguns

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

223 remington ammo rifle

You don't need to buy a lifetime of ammo but you can buy you when the price is low to get you through the times of high prices & gouging.
You can even beat the gougers by getting in on the low price sales & picking up on the ammo before they get the chance to buy them out. :eek:

Reactions: dallassmith1993

·
Registered
362 Posts
I've got a bunch of .223 and .30-'06 brass from national match shooters-as well as a TON of pulled bullets from them and others that have had them lying around. It get's pretty cheap if all you have to buy is powder and primers. I would start by reloading. Even using full priced components, you will have cheaper (and MUCH better) ammo.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I haven't had a single shortage in all the calibers that I reload, mainly because of forward thinking.

I think that Broom was referring to hoarding, the single most thing that has led to ammo and component shortages.
Jim

·
Registered
13,269 Posts

I haven't had a shortage in anything I reload for, because I buy what I need, at reasonable prices, when it's available. I guess it boils down to what you mean when you say to buy in bulk and reload it for "years to come". If you mean enough for 3-5 years, that's no big deal, but some folks might mistake your meaning and buy enough for 30-50 years...lots of people are out there doing that, these days.

The only thing I've never stocked up on is 22 rimfire ammo; never thought I'd see a time in my life when I couldn't walk into any sporting goods stores or LGS and pick up a couple of boxes. The panic-driven mentality of hoarders has created a market for flipping 22 ammo that most find despicable, but where there is demand, there will be supply.

If I took your intent out of context, I apologize, but there's no question that the "buy it while you can" approach is a huge part of the problem. :twocents:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At $25 for 50 rounds you are paying .50 cents per round.
If you keep an eye on these ammo search engines & buy in bulk as the prices drop.

In Stock 223/5.56 Ammo Deals | Slickguns

gun-deals.com - User-Submitted Gun & Ammunition Deals

223 remington ammo rifle

You don't need to buy a lifetime of ammo but you can buy you when the price is low to get you through the times of high prices & gouging.
You can even beat the gougers by getting in on the low price sales & picking up on the ammo before they get the chance to buy them out. :eek:

Thanks, man, love the links. I'd been thinkin .50 per rnd is ridiculous, but could only find cheap bulk ammo if I bought 1000 rnds at once!!!

Appreciate it

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Been reloading for 30 years

AND STILL KEEP THE SAME AMOUNTS. I can't speak for ALL reloaders but I for 1 don't want to get too far ahead of myself & end up using old components (powders/primers/loaded ammo 20+ years old). If I shoot more, I load more and don't generally have to worry about running out like with my 22 mags & lr's. If the day comes when reloading is restricted or outlawed, you can bet I'll lay in a lifetime supply if able, and guys that don't reload will be begging us to sell to them. I certainly don't do it for profit, but as a way to shoot more/better quality ammo. Don't knock it if you haven't tried it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts