Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I did some casting with my new RCBS mould. Once the mould got to the right temp everything went great, and I cast about 200 bullets. Yesterday I did some more casting. I found that the bolt that the sprue plate pivots on kept loosening up. I had to tighten the bolt after every 6-8 pours into the mould. The bolt has the flex washer under it that it came with from the factory. What else can I do to keep this bolt from loosening up while using the mould?

·
Registered
302 Posts
CB,check and see if there is a small allan screw on the side of the mould. This should keep the bolt from comming loose. I ran into the same problem with my 45/70 RCBS mould.

Gun Runner

·
Banned
68 Posts
With all of my moulds (I have 50+) I cast the very first time with the standard method. When the mould is producing good bullets and the sprue plate is tightned to just firm, I mark with a needle file an index mark on the screw and mould.

After cooling I remove the sprue plate screw and carefully file a small flat on it to match the index mark. Retightning the screw, it will now bed on a flat surface and rarely ever need tightning.

This method also means that the plate tension on the bullet base is the same forever.

·
Banned
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gun runner: There was a set screw and it was not tight. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
302 Posts
CB, thats why we all belong to the forum, to help where we can.

Gun Runner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts