Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of you who wear and hunt small game with 22 LR revolvers - how do you carry your ammunition? I don't want to dump cartridges into a pouch. And holster belt loops is something I try hard to avoid.

Are there cartridge companies whose non-bulk 22 ammunition is packaged in boxes that have individual cartridge holes?

Are there reloading strips available similar to Bianchi Speed Strips for 38/357 cartridges?

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Many years ago MTM (dont know if they are still in business), made "ammo wallets". They are a plastic case that is wallet sized, and have individual keepers for each cartridge. I have used this for years for my 22LR rounds for small game hunting, and it is a useful product for the purpose.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
For my 22 revolvers, I use speedloaders for carrying my extra ammo in my pocket. For my auto, I carry several extra loaded magazines. I have one of the MTM bullet wallets I also use. A ziplock bag filled with 22 LR ammo fits easily in a pocket and keeps the ammo clean.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts

·
Banned
612 Posts
I simply save the 50-round plastic boxes CCI uses and load them up with whatever ammunition I am using. They will keep the rounds clean and dry, won't make a mess in your pocket, and getting 5 rounds out simply means sliding the top back a little and dumping them out into your hand. Oh, that and they're cheap and easily replaceable- just shoot more!

·
Banned
505 Posts
And holster belt loops is something I try hard to avoid.
I was trying to do the same, but over the years and carrying SA Rugers in other calibers I have learned to incorperate and love the belt! For DA revovers I just carry speed loaders in much the same way on a belt. I have found it works and I can have the same routines and warfare and well fare for every caliber. Hey though its a .22lr some of my friends carry loose rounds in pockets, but think it better to have a method of operation and practice good gun handling with any caliber and .22lr is cheaper to train with, so thats why the fuss. To operate everything in a safe and efficent manner, cause you will do what you practice only worse in a gun fight! A little anal maybe, butt(no pun) to me, any life is worth it! Especially mine!:D

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Use a nylon pouch - have a butt-stock model on my single shot .22 mag rifle also use belt style. Also, a plastic "snack bag" in the pocket works as well.

·
Banned
674 Posts
Empty pocket, dump box of 50 in pocket. If anything is left over they go back in box, no problem. Trick is nothing else goes into that pocket, ever.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Done these

I was trying to do the same, but over the years and carrying SA Rugers in other calibers I have learned to incorperate and love the belt! For DA revovers I just carry speed loaders in much the same way on a belt. I have found it works and I can have the same routines and warfare and well fare for every caliber. Hey though its a .22lr some of my friends carry loose rounds in pockets, but think it better to have a method of operation and practice good gun handling with any caliber and .22lr is cheaper to train with, so thats why the fuss. To operate everything in a safe and efficent manner, cause you will do what you practice only worse in a gun fight! A little anal maybe, butt(no pun) to me, any life is worth it! Especially mine!:D
I like those ideas

I have always just grabbed a handful and dropped em in a pocket.
Done this since way back!

I used to just use a pocket until I started buying the CCI plastic boxes. Those work for me, either 50 or 100 round size.
This too!

·
Registered
853 Posts
well around here is is nearly impossible to find .22 ammo....and when it is available the cost of a brick is four times what it was before the clown got in office

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I just carry speed loaders in much the same way on a belt.
Who makes speedloaders for .22LR? Can I get one for a S&W 317?
the cost of a brick is four times what it was before the clown got in office
True.... but that's not the clown's fault. We've done that to ourselves.
Pete

·
Registered
161 Posts
Who makes speedloaders for .22LR? Can I get one for a S&W 317?
hksspeedloaders.com

I carry some sort of Swiss canvas pouch I found years ago. A box of 50 rounds sits in the bottom, and up to 4 HKS speedloaders carrying 9 rounds each ride atop the full box. That gives me 86 rounds in a tight, easily carried manner. You could easily make a pouch from a half square foot of denim or similar rugged fabric.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I simply save the 50-round plastic boxes CCI uses and load them up with whatever ammunition I am using. They will keep the rounds clean and dry, won't make a mess in your pocket, and getting 5 rounds out simply means sliding the top back a little and dumping them out into your hand. Oh, that and they're cheap and easily replaceable- just shoot more!

Same here. Simple and is handier than digging through pockets. I load one at a time in my Colt SA, and the plastic boxes work good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
what I have used

What I used when I was a kid was one of my dad's old tobacco pouchs.
It had a zipper and it fit in the shirt pocket. Later I saw a pouch from Beemans for pellets that fit on belt or in pocket. Worked for 22's also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts