Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there isn't much going on in the field right now , my favorite place is my range untill a few days ago. As most of you know the weather in the pacific northwest has been somewhat hot but I didn't realize how hot untill I started to shoot around 10am. The heat was bouncing off my metal swingers so they looked like they were dancing. That was ok because I like to shoot moveing targets. My 480Ruger SRH is shooting pretty good these days so normaly I was expecting a few clinks to be heard, but low and behold, to my surprise not a one came through. Well I figured that was because of the heat making the air thick and blocking out the noise. That sounded like a good reason except I couldn't see any bullet marks on the metal. Well after a few more shots I went to investigate and half way to the targets were these puddles of lead where the bullet had melted before it got to the target. That convinced me to call it a day but I left my gun uncovered on the bench and it took me a few more minutes to put the fire out. Now thats hot.
Bob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Bob,
It was that way here a few weeks ago also, and will be this weekend. We've had a bit of a cold snap as of late, mid 80's. I was chronographing loads when it was 95+ degrees and your problem was the increased pressure and velocity where making you shoot over the top of the targets! :) Seriously though, my .17HMR was chronographing at a tad over 2700fps on that day. I could see signs of pressure, the indent in the case rims where pushed back out quite a bit compared to normal. The only upside to the hellishly hot weather would be having the entire range to myself.

·
Banned
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
kciH
I don't know about the Gun but your right about MY presure and velosity only it was my blood pressure that was up and when it gets hot MY velosity goes down. I don't worry to much about being the only one on the range because it's my range. Gods blessed me with a little bit of land.
Bob

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,029 Posts
We haven't had a day out of the 100's since the 1st of June - but, that's expected in this country. Our highest so far has been 117 deg. We generally hover around the 110 mark this time of year, and will do so until the middle of Oct, normally.

It is paramount to get to the range well before sunup, have the targets out and the firearms and such ready at the bench. Shooting time commences at 6 AM sharp (PC for any neighboring residents) and you need to be done by at least 9:30 if you want to beat the most heat. Even so, I take a 12 pack cooler loaded with frozen hand towels and drape them over the gun barrels to aid in cooling. When the towels become just cool and sorta soggy, I put them around my own neck to aid in cooling me!

Trying to shoot in the summer is a tough and dirty job - but, someone has to do it!!!!!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,461 Posts
It is pretty uncommon for me to shoot when it's below 90 (central Texas).

One thing I never have to worry about is working up a load in cool weather then having it go over-pressure due to heat....

I deal with the hot-barrel problem by taking about 5 or 6 rifles to the range on each trip, and only plan on a couple of groups out of each of them.

·
Beartooth Regular
5,218 Posts
Dang fellows,
I hate to tell you this, but it was 53 degrees at 3:00 p.m. when I was shooting the Hawk.

Mike,
We stopped in Dallas on our way back from Europe last Monday, the blast of heat just outside the terminal was incredible. I think they said it was 98, but it sure felt hotter.

Glad I live in Alaska!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts