Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there's a ton of knowledge here, and based on some of the range reports the majority of you gentlemen seem to be shooting quarters. How long does it take you to get that good? What kind of coaching / mentoring / training have you had? How many hours behind a rifle or how many shots does it take? I'm awfully new and I'm simply awful, and I often get frustrated by not going able to shoot an apple consistently at half the distance you guys can shoot a dollar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I got my first 22 when I was 7...a gift from an uncle, it was a well used Winchester single shot.

My Grandad was a hunter, and a shooter...I watched him explode a groundhog at 400 yards with a 220 Swift and was instantly hooked.

Grandad taught me everything I needed to get started...then later I got hooked up with a well known shooter that lives near me and learned a lot from him as well. (though he can be a bit arrogant at times...the man can shoot).

To answer your question...I've been at it 30 years. (steadily and dedicated)

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,100 Posts
Helped me a bunch to shoot metallic silhouettes as a kid, with a 22. Still learning!!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
You just have to keep working at it. Practice dry firing and trigger control at the times you can't be shooting. Single load that .22 and think about every shot you take. Pretty soon you'll be calling your shots and your groups will shrink dramatically.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I have been shooting something for now on 45 years now. Wow! Ain't ever thought about that. I still can't hit a dove 50 % of the time. I am getting better at shooting deer with a rifle but I still have a long way to go. I shoot pretty well at 100 yds from the bench with just about any rifle but field positions and offhand are still a challenge. I have become a fair shot with assorted handguns in the last 10 years. I am deadly on deer with a compound but I am as likely to miss as hit with the recurve. Practice and technique are key.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I would say to shoot shorter ranges it doesn't take much. If you are just shooting out to 100 yards as long as you have some of the basics of shooting down, and you have capable equipment, you can shoot tight groups. I can take one of my old military rifles and they will only shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards no matter how hard I try, but If I grab one of my heavy barrel customs, I can shoot 1/2 MOA all day long. I have gotten to the point to where between the time I pull the tirgger and the bullet leaves the barrel, I know if it's going to go where I want it or not.

Also, many tight groups are being shot with hand loaded ammo customized for one particular rifle. Great groups can be had with Factory Match ammo, but in general, it's hand loaded.

When you start shooting longer range say 200 and beyond, flaws with these basic shooting techniques mentioned above tend to get enhanced and groups grow.

I have been shooting for about 20 years, but have gotten seriously into rifles about 6 years ago. Since then I have gotten 4 customs and countless range time. I have also read every book I can get my hands on and spent days upon days reading and researching stuff online.

To boot, my fiance's grandfather is a former Benchrest shooter and use to (still does I guess) build custom rifles for people around the world. I have been fortunate enough to learn a lot of information from him and his family who also build and shoot custom rifles.

I am currently in the process of having him teach me to thread and chamber a rifle barrel so I consider myself lucky. We are building another custom hunting rifle for myself.

·
Registered
102 Posts
38 years shooting 25 years reloading learn something new all the time just like my custom leather work been at that for 30 years still learning all the time.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well I got my Red Ryder BB gun when I was 4 years old, 56 years ago. I got my first .22 when I was 6 and my first shotgun when I was 10.
I was taught to shot and hunt by the Ol' Man, my Dad and several Uncles.
I asked the Ol' Man one day what it took to be a good shot and Ol' man smiles and said, “Son, listen to your elders. And when you stand on a mountain of spent brass you'll be good.”
Well, I did what the Ol' Man said. In fact, I stood several mountains of spent brass before I was 18 and a lot more mountains since.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Dad says I shot my first gun when I was three, but I don't remember anything before the Daisy BB gun, when I was 6, and stepped up to the big-time with a .22LR when a guy owed Dad $25, so he gave him an old Marlin to settle the debt. I still have that gun and used to practice with it in the canyons where a fire had gone through, shooting limbs off the sides of Ponderosa pines.

I thought I knew what I was doing until I started shooting next to an old-timer at the gun range next to the city dump in San Leandro, CA. The guy's name was Al and he'd been a bench-rest shooter in the 60's. He showed me a few things and when I finally started listening, my groups went from minute-of-deer to minute-of-:eek: I still have a lot to learn and the only thing I can manage with a shotgun is to frustrate myself to no end. I'm not bad with a pistol or rifle, though. Lately, seems like what I enjoy most is introducing others to shooting and hunting

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've been shooting about 65 years. Dad started me with a Rem auto built on a Browning model. It was a Remmington Gallery Gun that shot 22 shorts only. I got scolded if I hit a squirrel any place but the head even if I could only the tail. Dad would say I should know where the head is behind or in the leaves. Dad believed if you kill/hunt it ; you eat it. Body shots wasted meat. Mygila P.S. I'm 74, last hunt was an Oryx in 2005 . Iron sights Marlin 1895 CB. 45-70

·
Registered
833 Posts
I don't remember when I first started shooting but have been reloading for 43 years,I been shooting longer than that.My Grandfather taught me how to reload when I was 14.I learned alot about shooting, hunting and reloading from him.I sure do miss him at times even after all these years he has been gone.I also learned alot from my Older Brother.We still hunt together.It did not take me too long to shoot small groups after I got my own rifle.A Parker Hale in .243 Winchester.I was about 16 when I got that rifle.Been playing with trigger adjustments and bedding on all my rifles every since.The more ya shoot the better you will get.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
lets see.m 62 so it was about 56 ago when i started usin a gun.. duh that means i guess its been a lotta tears.fust rabbit on the run w 12 ga.at 8- 9 ..slim
blowed him half into..grin

·
Banned
637 Posts
It's more about technique than time. Get some good coaching. NRA matches are a perfect place to develop technique. The more you practice your technique correctly, the better you'll get. If you practice incorrect technique it will only hold you back. Sight alignment, trigger control, dryfire, dryfire, dryfire.

40+ years

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I'm 44 and been shooting about 30 years now and reloading 25 yrs. Enlisted at 18 and then spent 24 yrs as a shooter (SF, sniper, CQB, instructor) and have competied in civilian regional and All Army matches. I still pull shots but then I know it as soon as I've pulled the trigger. It takes training and range time, so dry fire and get an air gun for the backyard or inside.

CD

·
Banned
421 Posts
I'm in my early 50's and been shooting over 40 years. Practice with the same gun is usually what it takes to get as good as you want to be. Every gun is an individual to some extent, with favorite ammo, etc. I shoot way more 22LR than all other calibers combined, but these days it's spread over numerous guns instead of one or two. I do have a couple of favorites though. I can usually pick up one of them and hit what I want, within reason. Kinda like riding a bike!

·
Banned
604 Posts
I've been actively shooting for 55 years. Tens of thousand .22 LR. As I got older a favorite uncle started me on bolt action rifles. He had been a Sniper in WWII. Learned an awful lot from him. One of the "secrets" to accurate shooting on targets is to pick a small target. If you normally use something with a 6" bullseye, get one that has a 1" bullseye. You'll soon learn to hold "tighter" on the target. On game, pick a SPOT you want the bullet to hit, don't just pull up on "brown" and call it good. PICK YOUR SPOT. Most importantly though is to have fun doing it. And shoot a lot!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts