Shooters Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
So, you went to the range and fired less than 20 rounds, total? Usually when I make a trip to a shooting range (I have a 100 yard range back behind my house) I take a shotgun to shoot a round or two of trap, high-power rifle for what I think of as "real" shooting, and then I'll bring a .22 or pistol, for fun practice. It's pretty rare for me to go to the range and fire anything less than 75-100 rounds of various ammo. When I'm at my house, it may be as few as the 4-shot groups I fire when working up loads.

·
Banned
655 Posts
It varies. I may take one gun and 20 rounds if I'm just checking a load or a weapon, or I may take a half dozen guns and a couple of hundred rounds for each if I just feel like making a lot of noise and smoke.

This week, I took my Combat Commander and my P220 and 50 rounds each and wished I had taken more. If I can catch a warm day I plan to take both of those again AND my P226 and burn up 3 or 4 hundred rounds.

Rifles get shot less because A) it's an hour's drive to a decent 100 yard range, B) I get REAL tired of walking back and forth to the targets and C) I get to thinking too much about how much money I'm burning up. For my .308, 20 rounds is a big day. For the Mini-14 that goes up some due to the fun factor, but not much. 40 rounds would be a good day, 60 would be about the max.

And then there's 22's. I've been known to take a brick and come home with nothing but a big grin...

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,196 Posts
Oh, I don't know - will fire as many as I feel like it and then go home.

·
Registered
720 Posts
the closest range to me is about 45 minutes, so i might take 3 or 4 different guns.

I really don't shoot that many rounds. Last trip to the range I took 3 rifles. I think I shot 3 rounds out of my 300, 3 rounds out of my 338 and 2 rounds out of my 270. These were to just check the zero. Then broke out my 223, and shot 4 rounds, to check the scope ( coyote medicine).

Then broke out the pistol and burned off 15 rounds, and called it a successful trip. Packed up and headed to the house to clean guns.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
My range is home. Have had enough daylight lately to get a cylinder or two off every day when I get home.

"Dark spots" in a snow covered field have been my targets. I can see the bullet "splash",and kind of "walk' them into "hits". Good theropy from my seat in the world.

I saw a racoon walking a fenceline while shooting today. No fear of the shots?

Gone by the time I grabbed the rifle that would have ended his/her misory. 325 or so yards is too far for me with a handgun! Maybe 75? Gotta keep track of the dog as spring progresses.

tkbigbore,
A twenty round box would be about enough for me at one sitting. If it hurts, it's NOT FUN.

Cheezywan

·
Banned
166 Posts
It depends on what I'm shooting. If I'm shooting from the bench for accuracy 20 to 40 rds if I stay for a couple hours. My AR seems to burn through the ammo, so about 120 to 300 rds. I usually take 2-5 handguns so between the wife and me, about 300 to 400 rds of 9mm. Gets expensive, but is no doubt loads of fun. My range trips are my stress reliever. Nothing like a day at the range to make you feel relaxed and centered, even better than yoga.:D

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Same here.

Depends what I'm shooting.

A hard-pusher might only get 10 or 20 run downrange. Sometimes more. But not too often.

A .300 Win, Weatherby, 7-STW or .220 Swift will heat on me, so probably 20 or so.

Standards like .25-06 or .308 or .307, etc. can be 10 or 100.

10mm, .40 S&W or 9mm and rimfire.............. how many ya got??? Shoot until your out of ammo.

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,951 Posts
Light days are about half of heavy.
Light days are:

Rifles: 100-ish
22's: 5-600-ish
Pistols: 50-100

·
Inactive for over a decade
6,248 Posts
200-1000...

I shoot a lot of handguns, so any practice is good. Very rarely I'll take only one rifle and I might shoot 20 rounds with it. Most of the time I'll grab a shotgun and shoot a round or two of skeet or a round of Sporting Clays.

I'll take along my pistols and shoot a couple hundred rounds easily.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Anywere from 6 to a 1000 rds. Depends on my mode and time. Have a range in the backyard so daily do about 18 rds through the single six for shot group at 25m. 6 rds two handed, 6 rds strong hand and 6 rds weak hand. When my son gets home from school or on the weekend, depends on what I've got reloaded.
At work anywere from 50 rds to 2000 rds depends if I'm teaching, bening the Range Officer or doing drills.

CD

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Yes, the number of rounds really depends on what I am at the range for. Most of my range time is devoted to practice for match shooting. I tend to shoot slowly standing or prone most of the time with some shooting from the sitting position occasionally.
That all means about 20 rounds from each position.
.22 prone gets a box of 50.
With a hunting rifle, I will shoot 20-30 rounds, some from standing but most while sitting on the ground.
Pistols - I usually bring one and will shoot 30 - 70 rounds depending on what I need work at.
Pete

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i ll put it this way.. i use to shoot way too many rnds at the range..
now at home ,,ive learned better.
last yr.. i became fairly good with my 06 at out past 320- 400 yrds[no gadgets]an little or no wind..
id shoot 2 rnds a day until i learned how to do my part..
in other words ..rome wasn t built in a day..take you time.. slim

·
Registered
11,954 Posts
I seldom go to the range anymore unless working up a new load or for an outting with the guys. Most of my shooting is in hunting situations like Prairie dogs... usually go though at least 200 rounds of .223 those days. Get in a hot dog town and it will be double that.

·
Banned
157 Posts
The range is a long trip for me so I will bring my hunting rifle and verify the scope is on...
Whatever that takes 2 or 3. Then one of the pistols for fun usually about 50 rounds there,
The shotgun another 50 trap shots.
The .22 rife for some fun as well another 50 to 100

·
Registered
822 Posts
When I am working up a load, and thats 90% of the time I am, I shoot 50 rounds. 10 different loads of 5 each. I generally shoot about 10 per hour, so as you can imagine I am there quite a while. Money is tight these days, and the range is a 45 minute drive(although only about 25 miles away) gas plus range fees means that I shoot more in a trip and go less often.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.