Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
--When I hunt with my single shot .223, I normally load the rifle and carry 10 extra in one of those little pocket folders. But when I carry my AR-15, I feel naked unless I carry at least 60 rounds with me.
--How much extra do you carry?

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Over the last 30 years or so, I expect I have averaged over one round per head of big game, but way less than two. For varminting, I need more, depending on the targets. Calling coyotes, I will carry 20 rounds at the start of a day, but have never really needed more than about 8. A good prairie dog shoot uses hundreds of rounds at times.

The question doesn't depend on the gun I carry; it depends on what I'm shooting with it.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I also think it is more about what you are hunting and maybe where you are hunting. For big game in my area (western Washington) I usually carry maybe 10 rounds for the rifle. but I think that is also more about "feeling naked without it" than it would ever be about shooting 10 rounds at big game in one day. I also usually carry a hand gun as well with a full mag in the gun and one extra mag but that is a defensive pistol and would not be shot at big game unless the game animal was a threat and the rifle had been emptied or knocked out of line with the target.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I typically carry 4 rounds with me when I go whitetail hunting here in the South East (I have been known to carry one magazine full only - which is four for all my bolt/pump/semi rifles I've ever owned, for a long time now). I now use a single shot rifle but I still carry four. I'd probably do just fine with two.

I normally only have to use one round per deer, but I will use more, if necessary, to make sure the deer doesn't suffer long. So far, I'm 5 for 5 this year (all deer expired within a minute of being shot the first time). I don't think I've needed more than one shot per deer in the last 15 years. If I'm ever able to go after elk, I'll probably take 8, just in case (there are wolves/bear/etc. up that way and I might need to have more with me to feel safe).

·
Registered
486 Posts
I carry way more than I would ever need ;). I guess I want to be prepared for that unplanned "fire fight" :D.

Dan

·
Registered
409 Posts
I hunted once with 2 rounds. I was very far in Northern Minnesota and discovered I had forgotten my box of ammunition for the trip and the local hardware store in BF Minnesota didn't carry 6mm Rem. The nearest place would have been 3.5 hours round trip and it was the night before opener. I went with 2 rounds and used one. I too do not like being in the woods with not enough ammo, especially when there are potentially grumpy animals. I did however have a .45 sidearm with me. I usually try to carry 10 rounds.

·
Registered
330 Posts
14 rds but thats only because my jacket holds 7 on the left and 7 on the right. It would have to be a powerfully busy day to work thru that many rounds deer hunting.

good luck
GF

·
Registered
274 Posts
I carry however many the magizine on my guns hold. My father loads only 1 bullet into any of his guns and dosent carry any extra, seems to work for him.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,522 Posts
I guess I go the other way. I've got belt carriers that hold 20 rounds, so that's what I carry, plus whatever the magazine will hold regardless of what I'm hunting or hunting with.

Like was stated earlier, pdog or ground squirrles I take AT LEAST 500 rounds per rifle. (I never go pdog shooting with less than four) I don't want to run out if'n some one hollers . . . . . .

"GOOKS IN THE WIRE!" :eek: :rolleyes: :D

RJ

·
Registered
13 Posts
i agree with Mr C about feeling naked without enough ammo in the woods. I generally hunt alone and in a semi remote area where the nearest house may be 2-3 miles. i generally carry 10-12 rounds for my rifle/shotgun and i too carry one of several sidearms with either 2 15 round mags or 3 speedloaders. its a comforting feeling i guess to know you have "enough" ammo for any situation. I generally even carry a sidearm in bow season especially when coming out of the woods after dark. there are bears and coyotes where i hunt and i would rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not have it. thats my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I guess for me it varies based on what gun I'm hunting with and what critter I'm after, but I typically will have no less than 3 rounds for any big-game hunting and 200, or more, for ground squirrels. When I found out just how many bears there were in the part of WI I used to hunt, I started putting a couple more rounds in my coat pocket. :)

·
Banned
674 Posts
One in the gun and two in my pocket whether its 308 or BP and 5 in my revolver.

If using a shotgun 10 in my pocket and 3 in the gun

If using a 22, a magazine full in the gun and the rest of a box of 50 loose in my right front pants pocket.

·
Registered
573 Posts
i agree with Mr C about feeling naked without enough ammo in the woods. I generally hunt alone and in a semi remote area where the nearest house may be 2-3 miles. i generally carry 10-12 rounds for my rifle/shotgun and i too carry one of several sidearms with either 2 15 round mags or 3 speedloaders. its a comforting feeling i guess to know you have "enough" ammo for any situation. I generally even carry a sidearm in bow season especially when coming out of the woods after dark. there are bears and coyotes where i hunt and i would rather be prepared and not need it than need it and not have it. thats my 2 cents worth.
must be nice. In my state you can only carry weapons legal for the season you are hunting so no sidearms in bow season. :(

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,918 Posts
Three in the rifle - 5 in the pockets.

·
Registered
56 Posts
4 in the magazine and nine or ten depending on the carrier I have with.

I hunt regularly where the Grizz and the wolves play. I've had both species within two hundred yards in the times I've seen them and I'm not real sure how close in the times I haven't seen them.

"hunting within 2 or 2.5 miles of the nearest house" LOL

I'm not making fun of anyone but I walk my dog farther from civilization than that. When I got my sheep in "99" I know that there wasn't another human within 4 miles of me and he was my hunting partner back at the cabin. The next nearest was at least ten more miles down country.

I just realized how very lucky and blessed I have been!!

Scruf

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
I normally pack a full box of 20 (bolt gun, AR/FAL one 5rd mag in gun and backup full 20) with me and about another 20 rounds of pistols. Its not the game that I'm hunting that I may need all that ammo (generally only 1-2 rounds) but for the two legged vermin and wild dogs where I hunt that maybe the problem.

CD

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
i thought this post was about how much is enough to have stored.. i was gonna ask how big of a truck,or out building ,, you had ... but i carry the magazine full[ a few in the pocket], if i ever get to really go huntin again.. slim:)
ps, we have very little danger from man predators down here in carolina..
if you don t count other men..i figure they shouldn t have any trouble killing me first shot if they any hunter at all.jmo

1 - 20 of 42 Posts