Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what others do with this situation. Thought I might have noticed some changes during sizing of about 100 pieces of brass. Lube build up?

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,799 Posts
Take the expander plug out once in a while and wipe the crud off it. Run a clean patch on pistol rod for inside body. Don't have a regular schedule.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Honestly not that often. What lube you using? I’ve used several different lubes but I’ve pretty much stuck with Hornady One shot for at least 15 years with no problems. Some lubes are great but create a haste due to build up. At least that’s what I’ve been told. I never had an issue with lube before. I do periodically take apart my dies and clean them. 30 years ago when I helped my dad and grandfather as a kid reloading They seemed to take them apart pretty often to clean them. But technology has changed.

·
Registered
910 Posts
When my 38 spc comes out looking like 32 LC ? I've probably cleaned more pistol seating dies from lube buildup from lead cast bullets. Haven't really seen a lube buildup in the sizing die.
Like Mike asked what kinda lube are you using ?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Now and then I give the inside a shot of One Shot cleaner and swab it out then a shot of One Shot lube. Don't really know why I started doing that nor am I sure it accomplish's anything. Have been using One Shot lube since it came out. Just doesn't seem to build up much!

·
Premium Member
14,218 Posts
Unless you're using a FL die to neck size with, there's nowhere for crud to gather. I clean mine because they're left out on the bench and get dusty.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
For many years now I use One Shot, great stuff. In 1960, I started with 20 w motor oil, messy but worked fine.

I clean my dies everytime I use them (except for the carbide ones). remove rod, wipe with solvent, squirt a shot of gum out down die (wd 40 works too), run 30 cal patch thru from threaded end, spray them with Rem oil re-assemble and store in green RCBS box in kitchen cabinets. 31 sets of dies there. Just my habit.

took me longer to type this than to do it. I've seen lots of others dies with black/hard crud, and a set or two with rust blisters.

enjoy.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I keep a container of my "soak" on the bench (my version of Ed's Red with some Kroil and a bit more mineral spirits). I drop a die (all types) in the soak and allow it to sit for a while (from a day or two up to whenever I remember it). If the die was dirty I may disassemble it and wipe the parts, maybe run a brush/swab through it an reassemble it. The mineral spirits cleans and the oils (Kroil and or Marvels' Mystery oil) leave a light film for rust protection.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Using Lee's case lube will gob up pretty good on the sizing stem and ball and inside the die. Luckily, the FL dies only see use about every 5th loading or so but they get cleaned when I think of it. Pretty much all dies need a little breakdown and cleaning once in awhile.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
dd you might want to try the Hornady OneShot. fast easy and no mess. just be sure to follow the directions. spray at 45 degrees and it gets the case mouth. And be sure to wait till it dries 3-4 minutes. Muxh better than the oil based lubes and pads. I threw my un-inked ink pads away 25 years ago, just too messy.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I break mine down every few hundred rounds. I have actually have had more issues with dies that have been set up for long periods than those that are regularly used.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,084 Posts
I can't remember ever cleaning a sizing die since switching to Imperial Sizing Die Wax ;)

Or sticking a case, either.....

·
Super Moderator
3,773 Posts
It depends

I clean my reloading dies after every use by wiping them inside and out with paper towels. That is followed by applying a light film of Rust Inhibiting Grease (RIG) inside and out. My reloading area can get a bit damp and I have not had any rust on my dies. I have used RCBS case lube for years. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
298 Posts
My shop is dry and climate controlled so moisture is no problem for me but I do inspect my dies before each use. Sizing dies only require a dip in the solvent tank and a quick shot of air but then I run a lubed, sized case in and out to put an oil film on them. The seating dies need more attention for me. I disassemble them and clean using solvent and a brush. threads are lubed with light oil (ATF and kerosene) and then hit with air and reassembled. I clean the expander dies with a solvent dip, compressed air and a touch of lube that is dried with air.

A close look will tell me when I need to clean.

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Unless you're using a FL die to neck size with, there's nowhere for crud to gather. I clean mine because they're left out on the bench and get dusty.

I use a FL die to FL size w/ Imperial wax as lube. Every once in a while I notice dents in the shoulder. Time to clean die.

Remove from press (RCBS) and remove deprimer stem. Take about a 1" wide strip of old tshirt, work it thru die then pull back and forth to get
xcess lube out. May take a large piece of shirt on screwdriver and force it thru/swab out die, first, then above treatment, depends.
Have also used qtip w/ soap/hot water.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I use Dillon's lube and find that a couple squirts of brake cleaner up my resizing, seating, and crimping dies in the toolhead every 2-2.5K rds keeps them clean and free of crud.

·
36,084 Posts
I use Dillon's lube and find that a couple squirts of brake cleaner up my resizing, seating, and crimping dies in the toolhead every 2-2.5K rds keeps them clean and free of crud.
Dillon's lube (the bottle I have, anyway) is lanolin dissolved in isopropyl (?) alcohol. I have actually used lanolin from a tube, works well, but kind of 'thick' for a lube and I can see needing to clean the die once in a while.

·
36,084 Posts
I use a FL die to FL size w/ Imperial wax as lube. Every once in a while I notice dents in the shoulder. Time to clean die.

Remove from press (RCBS) and remove deprimer stem. Take about a 1" wide strip of old tshirt, work it thru die then pull back and forth to get
xcess lube out. May take a large piece of shirt on screwdriver and force it thru/swab out die, first, then above treatment, depends.
Have also used qtip w/ soap/hot water.
May be using a bit much of Imperial? I've found that all it takes is for the case to feel slightly 'greasy,' but then again, I"m not a high volume reloader. I only run my finger tip across the Imperial every 3 or 4 cases, but I run my fingers over EVERY case, to make sure it has enough lube. Anyway, just some thoughts.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts