Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm wondering if anyone knows how rare a Winchester Model 70 Deluxe in 225 Winchester Caliber Serial # 873xxx made in 1967 is? The records for this particular gun were destroyed by fire about the time Browning took over the company. Neither Browning or the Buffalo Bill Historical Museum in Cody, Wy, have records related to the number of this model and caliber that were made. Thank for your help.

Edited to mask serial #. Not a good idea to publish full serial no's of firearms on the internet.

Kdub

·
Registered
302 Posts
I saw one at a gun show a little while back and the owner of it thought quite highly of it simply because it was in 225 win. He claimed it was rare because they no longer made the caliber but he neglected to mention they no longer make factory ammo for it either. He was askin $900 for the gun with a pretty good size Leupold scope and a clamp on bi pod (looked like someone was using it for varmints). At the end of a 3 day show he still had the gun so it seems that $900 was a pretty steep price for that particular rifle.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I've held two in my lifetime, as well. One was owned by the neighbor who first introduced me to reloading and the other was at a gun show, some 20 years ago. I saw one listed on the items in an estate sale, but I've never come across one while I had the money to actually buy it. I will say this much: The 225 Winchester is as fine a cartridge that never became popular and deserves a better fate. It is not hard on barrels like the 220 Swift and the only thing that kept it from being far more successful was the adoption of the wildcat 22/250 as a standardized cartridge.

Finding 225 Winchester brass is not all that hard, as there is a seasonal run of them produced. It is essentially a modified 30/30 case and very strong. JD Jones used it as the base for several of his wildcats, including one of his most popular, the 6.5JDJ. Lord willing, I'll come across a Model 70 that I can afford, some day. If not, I'll have a .223 rechambered to this fine old cartridge.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
I also looked at a Winchester M-70 in .225 back in the late 1960's, when living in Washington, Indiana. At that time they were priced at $140 (standard version). I bought a Remington Model 700 ADL in .222 Remington instead though. I do believe they are kind of rare as the .22-250 Remington came out about the same time and was a better balanced "Rimless" cartridge and the .225 Winchester was more or less a .219 Zipper IMP with a "Semi-Rimmed" case.

·
Super Moderator
13,444 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in and have fun and be polite.

The gun you describe may be uncommon, but everyone responding has seen one or two, or knows someone who looked for one and was able to find it after awhile, so they're not as rare as hen's teeth, either. It's not a pre-64 action, or the gun show price would have been very attractive. Ammo is difficult to find, but it isn't entirely orphaned, either. So, it's status seems to be kind of inbetween in the rarity department. I always figure that if it's something someone would still buy with the idea of shooting it rather than for relegating to a museum display case, then it's going to sell for a shooting rifle price and not a fortune.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Had a T/C Contender carbine barrel chambered in 25-225 some years ago. Great target and hunting cartridge. Can attest to the strong case on the cartridge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everybody. Does anyone know if the rifles you're talking about were specifically called a DELUXE Model 70? The DELUXE model was made for a few years, and has extremely nice wood: a Rosewood
forend and a Rosewood grip cap, plus a black Winchester buttpad. In all of the firearms books I've looked at, the 225 Winchester is not listed in this caliber, only the 243, 270, 30-06, and 308. Thanks for the input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts