Shooters Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi forum!
I hand-load 44 mags with H110 (24 grain), i.e. close to max load. I was wondering: compared to a new S&W revolver, how robust is the 1894's system? Can it handle more over-preassure, or less? I am not going to increase the load, just want to get an idea what might happen if I make a mistake while reloading...
Thanks,
thecyclone

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
My 1894

I have had a Marlin 1894 for some time now. It is a "Marlin Limited" with the 16" bbl that is unported.

The 1894's ARE NOT a '92. That's the main thing to keep in mind. I will go out on a limb here and say that I believe they will handle the same pressures as the S&W revo's.

I have handloaded some of the more powerful loads for mine just "experimenting". Well above the 24.0grs of H110 that I too have settled on. My bullet of choice is the Hornady 240gr XTP's and I find that even coming outta only 16 inches of bbl,the weapon kills the bigger hogs and the small Fla deer just fine.

If your like me you will do a little experimenting but soon will come back to,and settle on,the above load.

Good Shootin' -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
13,141 Posts
What kind of velocity are the two of you getting with that load, from the carbine barrel?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hi forum!
I hand-load 44 mags with H110 (24 grain), i.e. close to max load. I was wondering: compared to a new S&W revolver, how robust is the 1894's system? Can it handle more over-preassure, or less? I am not going to increase the load, just want to get an idea what might happen if I make a mistake while reloading...
Thanks,
thecyclone

I have one and while I have not shot it all that much , and very few 100% loads , I suspect that it is fine if you keep it to 100% loads or less .

These are light little guns and the recoil is surprisingly sharp . I have no desire to load it HOT . I have a .45-70 , if I want to go HOT . :)

One other thing , pretty much all my hand gun caliber lever guns prefer RN or RNFP bullets over the SWC's that I had been loading for my wheel guns .

God bless
Wyr

·
Inactive
1,626 Posts
Never,Ever

Sorry broom,never chrono'ed it. The 240gr XTP and/or the 300gr XTP are my extremely close range hog bullets and the max range that have ever encountered a hog in the thick stuff it about 25yds.

The 300gr XTP's are loaded up to book max also. And your right.....the little <6lb carbine is a thumper shooting the 300grainers. -----pruhdlr

·
Registered
706 Posts
Sorry broom,never chrono'ed it. The 240gr XTP and/or the 300gr XTP are my extremely close range hog bullets and the max range that have ever encountered a hog in the thick stuff it about 25yds.

The 300gr XTP's are loaded up to book max also. And your right.....the little <6lb carbine is a thumper shooting the 300grainers. -----pruhdlr

I guess I am a woos , I put a slip on rubber recoil pad on mine . I shoot ~ 240 hrain home cast bullets in the lever gun and wheel gun .

God bless
wyr

·
Registered
222 Posts
the guns are tough, but I am not.... I've been loading 23 gr of H110 for .44mag, but I must admit, I dont like shooting them that much. my rifle is pretty light, and the recoil is no fun at all. That said, it has plenty whompum on the other end, too.....

I killed a buck with my .357 a couple years ago that made me appreciate how much overkill I had built into that .44mag loading (23 gr h110 on 265 wfn). It just aint necessary, and I'm not shooting prairie dogs at 300 yards with it anyhow.... ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have read that the 1894 Marlin is good for 40K pressure for regular use. When that pressure is exceeded useful life is proportionately reduced as wear and tear is accelerated. I read in the same article, that the action, in destructive testing, will hang together at 60K, but after a shot or two the lugs are bent and the gun is essentialy ruined. A good safety factor in case something goes horribly wrong. So anything under 40K, and you are golden.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
38,327 Posts
You'll give up before it will. The thin, narrow stock with a low comb gets a good running start before it hits you in the cheek :eek:

·
Registered
753 Posts
I guess I am a woos , I put a slip on rubber recoil pad on mine .

God bless
wyr
IMHO, Adding a rubber recoil pad doesn't make you a woos. It means your smart in fixing a recoil problem that would affect your shooting accuracy and keeping your shoulder in one piece at the same time. I for one don't think any less of someone using a recoil pad and/or a recoil reducer in the stock.

If it was me I would add a rubber recoil pad and a little weight of a recoil reducer in the stock.

·
Inactive account
1,168 Posts
I broke my Win 94 in 45 LC with some stiff 300gr Cast loads! Thankfully it was still under Warrantee! Now I keep them a grain or two below max! These were the Ruger only loads in Speer #13! Probably running around 35,000!

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have a Beartooth 290gr LFN over 23.5g of H110 that I use in my 1894. It is sweet load that I like better than the lighter bullets. H110 loves (becomes more efficient) the resistance of a heavy bullet with a heavy crimp. The recoil is more of a "push" than a "pop". I am not as recoil sensitive as others I guess. The gun will handle this heavier load just fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.