Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,788 Posts
A good video

The author covered all the bases. The cleaning process is correct if the rifle is to be shot because it has a dry bore. If the gun is to be put away for a period of time, the bore should have a film of gun oil or gun grease left inside to protect it from rusting. All the best...
Gil

·
Registered
11,948 Posts
A couple things I disagree with, should be using a bore guide and I don't like the idea of reversing the brush while still in the bore.

Agree with Gill, the bore should be oiled if storing the gun.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Cool video i found on youtube with step by step instructions on how to properly clean a rifle barrel. I watched lots of videos on this and what i liked about this one is it's very detailed in explaining, but also to the point, so def worth checking out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IscsOlwlBHc
Re-inventing the wheel. If he really cared about his bore, he'd use a cleaning rod guide and a coated Dewey or Parker Hale cleaning rod.

·
Registered
255 Posts
+1 Proper fitting bore guides make a big difference.

It also looks like the axis of his barrel is leaning backwards a bit (I could be wrong hard to tell on camera) but he could have oil/solvent working its way back into the lug area.

It didn't look like his jag or brush fit the bore very well so him reversing it in the bore probably won't hurt but he still shouldn't do it. I'd like to see him try that with a brush from Pro-Shot.

I sound like a jerk who's just picking on this guy who made the video, and I really don't want to come off like that so I'm sorry but I think there are better ways to do it. On the plus side he is cleaning his barrel which is steps ahead of some people I have seen.

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
+1 Proper fitting bore guides make a big difference.

It also looks like the axis of his barrel is leaning backwards a bit (I could be wrong hard to tell on camera) but he could have oil/solvent working its way back into the lug area.

It didn't look like his jag or brush fit the bore very well so him reversing it in the bore probably won't hurt but he still shouldn't do it. I'd like to see him try that with a brush from Pro-Shot.

I sound like a jerk who's just picking on this guy who made the video, and I really don't want to come off like that so I'm sorry but I think there are better ways to do it. On the plus side he is cleaning his barrel which is steps ahead of some people I have seen.
It's easy with this video, it's a young guy that wants to make a name on Youtube. Most of the youtube video's I've watched are appalling including two different ways to do a trigger job on a 1911 that will always have your hammer following.

Worst of all were the two idiots in Georgia posing at "Russians" who got shut down by the ATF. Now they do prepper stuff.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It's easy with this video, it's a young guy that wants to make a name on Youtube. Most of the youtube video's I've watched are appalling including two different ways to do a trigger job on a 1911 that will always have your hammer following.

Worst of all were the two idiots in Georgia posing at "Russians" who got shut down by the ATF. Now they do prepper stuff.
I too have seen unsafe "modifications" done to firearms on YouTube.

Some scary modifications done to .22's out there.

It makes me wonder are these people aware of the dangers or are they trying to get people hurt?

I'm so lucky to have a mentor who's been willing to share his many years of knowledge and experience.

The guy said in the comments of the video that he learned from his Grandfather how to clean a barrel. I'm not saying that's wrong but perhaps he might look into updating his methods. Looks like he has a popular channel too. :/

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
I too have seen unsafe "modifications" done to firearms on YouTube.

Some scary modifications done to .22's out there.

It makes me wonder are these people aware of the dangers or are they trying to get people hurt?

I'm so lucky to have a mentor who's been willing to share his many years of knowledge and experience.

The guy said in the comments of the video that he learned from his Grandfather how to clean a barrel. I'm not saying that's wrong but perhaps he might look into updating his methods. Looks like he has a popular channel too. :/
I've come to the point where if I really know the source (Like Brownells, Bill Wilson, etc) I may watch for reference if I feel like it in case I think I may have forgotten something.

Understand that if someone gets real popular on Youtube, there is money in it and the really sad fact is people are actually referring to these video's... instead of taking the time or effort to learn things properly. I was lucky also, I learned from some greats many are gone now including a lead engineer at TRW Ord who taught me a lot about M14s in the 70's.

last but least, if I happen to see someone make an "incredible" shot on a video, I tend to ignore them for one simple reason. I know how some are set up and then there's the fact that they can run out a lot of rounds before the plant it right and edit the video.

But hey, if it's on the Internet, has to be a fact right? ;)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yea, a bore guide surely would have been a nice addition. The brushing part was fine though, i do it the same way and have for years and always worked great no problems. I also like that Hoppes 9 was used, shows he has good taste,lol ;)

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Yea, a bore guide surely would have been a nice addition. The brushing part was fine though, i do it the same way and have for years and always worked great no problems. I also like that Hoppes 9 was used, shows he has good taste,lol ;)
If you don't have one, try a Dewey coated rod, they help.

Might try Accubore. Of all the stuff I've used over the years including USGI bore cleaner for the M14, I like it best, it's fast, easy and cleans well. Down side: smells bad, watch where it goes if your sloppy and it can be rough on the skin. I still use and because it cuts down on cleaning time when I get a bad one in.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts