Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(I have a few older (smokeless powder) rifles and if I ever get my courage up and try reloading I would like to development some lower-pressure loads for them.)

When you get to minimum posted powder levels in reloading tables there are sometimes (depending on what guide you're reading) other options. There seems to be a blanket OK for the use of 'TrailBoss' Powder for virtually any cartridge case and Hodgdon has a PDF document which gives a wide latitude for the use of their H4895 powder so long as it is shown in a published loading for a particular caliber/bullet.

When I look at reloading manuals for rifle calibers most show maximum muzzle velocities up around 3,000 fps and the minimum charges typically yield between 2,400 and 2,600 fps (I appreciate the fact that Hodgdon publishes both maximum & minimum chamber pressures). If you look at what 'Trailboss' would give it seems to drop velocities down to 1,400 to 1,600 fps.

What would the reasonable path be to follow if the desire was for muzzle velocities around 2,000 fps
.... take-up Hodgdon's offer and use H4895 at 60% max charge and see what you get ?

- Paul

·
Registered
16 Posts
When I loaded 30/06 reduced loads with H4895 down to 60% the recoil was similar to a .22Mag. This was using 125 grain soft points.
I actually had to watch the target to ensure each hit fearing a stuck bullet. After five of those I ran the load up to 80% and was quite pleased with the results. Still very minimal recoil and superb accuracy. My friends wife has put several nice hogs on ice with this load and I highly reccomend it for the recoil sensitive.
H4895 is definately on my list of keepers.

Edit to add I have never used Trailboss but have read many cautions not to use it with jacketed bullets.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,926 Posts
Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook.

Lots and lots and lots of reduced loads.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Fast powder and when you stick a bullet in the barrel, up the powder charge. do a search on "mouse sneeze" here and see what happens. Good Shooting!

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
My results with H4895 and 125gr bullets in the 30-'06 has been the exact opposite of Gladesman...I shoot loads that are just a grain or so above that minimum (60%) charge and they work very well. Never had any fear of them clearing the barrel. My chronograph shows the 125gr BT's leaving the muzzle right around 2,400fps. Recoil and muzzle blast are SUBSTANTIALLY greater than a 22 magnum. It's about like a 7.62x39, which isn't surprising, given that they are driving bullets of similar weight to similar speeds.

:twocents:

·
Registered
549 Posts
This thread has reminded me of an idea I had some time ago for filling a hole in the powder spectrum. A powder which would consistently and accurately give from 2000-2200 fps in bottlenecked cases is somewhat lacking.

4895 is good for slightly reduced loads, and Trail Boss is now accepted for extremely reduced loads. Accurate 5744 is good for loads slightly faster than the Trail Boss loads, but still only gives 50-70% case fill, and as you get above 2000 fps, pressures start to rise rapidly as it is still basically a pistol powder.

I would like to see a powder of about Reloader 7/3031 burn rate, that was good metering (ball or short cut extruded) with a bulk density of around .10 to .13 cc/grain to fill up the case. This should give excellent accuracy with loads from 1900-2300 fps in most cartridges with few pressure questions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts