Shooters Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
rifle

Well I finally finished my varmint rifle. I started this process with a Savage 110 action in 243 that I picked up years ago at a gun show. It had a facotry barrel that someone had cut off to about 10" why I have no idea. I had always intended on putting another barrel on it but not until I found this site did I have the confience to attempt it. I initially intended on putting a .223 barrel on it and believed I had only to change the bolt face and that would be it (not so). I ordered a varmint barrel from Mid-wayUSA and a bolt face; they arrived and soon found that my bolt a short action would not work for this shorter cartridge; after installing the new bolt head the bolt was to short to function in the action. I still had my sights set on a .223 so I ordered a complete bolt assembly; after recieving it was disappointed to find that it was still far to short to work in my action. After researching more found that farther modifications would have to be made for the bolt to function in my action and I did not find this promising after all the pain it had allready been. I had not done anything to the new .223 barrel (thankfully) and returned it to MidwayUSA along with everything else. They gave me full credit with no problems. I then orded a SS 22-250 Shilen barrel with a 1-8 twist from Midway; seeing that the 22-250 would function with my current bolt. Removing the old barrel from my action was no fun; I had to use some heat to break the adhesive that the factory uses on the nut and barrel and it was still as tight as a tick. I recieved the new barrel from Midway and carefully threaded it onto my action; I had for some reason a notion that it would simply thread on by hand, but it proved to be a very tight fit. I would suggest to anyone attemping this to have a vice that will hold the barrel very tightly, a barrel nut wrench and something to turn the action; I used a small steel bar very slowly and carefully. I finally got the barrel into the action and set the headspace against a go-gauge. I had to remove some of the wood from the barrel trench in the lamenant stock I had until the barrel floated freely. I got the rifle together and topped it with a platinum 6X24 from BSA, for the price I have been pretty pleased with these optics. I don't buy into the barrel breaking processes, but have followed the Shilen suggestion to fire and clean for the first five rounds. I could not be more pleased with the results from my Shilen barrel; the first five shots are within a quarter of an inch apart with three of the five almost touching. I have seen very little copper fouling; so I guess I lucked out on the barrel lottery. I can't wait to really get this gun dialed in and do some serious shooting. I will try and post a picture of the rifle; it is something of beauty, and I will post how the accuracy gets; all I have at the moment is factory rounds but look forward to handloading for this rifle.

Doc
do you whant to sell your rifle

·
Registered
5 Posts
rebarrel Sav 110

I have a Savage 110E chambered in .243 win, is it possible to rebarrel this rifle to 22-250 or simular cartridge and use the bolt that I currently have. What are my options in rebarreling this rifle? I would appreciate any suggestion or information.

Thanks,
Doc "Zero"

Bolt face is the same, the cartridge length is close ,but the feeding may need work. When I use to rebarrel Sav 110s I would make a necking cut on the barrel and do away with the barrel locking nut. The new barrel would neck up against the ft. receiver ring.
Will Fowler aurthor" Advanced Rebarreling sporting Rifle"

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
Will,

Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join in, have fun, and play nicely with the rest of us kids. The forum allows no advertising of any kind without advanced permission of the owner.

What you suggest can certainly be done, but then you give up the easy barrel change and headspace adjusting features that some want to have to be able to do the work for themselves. Others won't, but it's a conscious choice that needs to be made.

·
Registered
4 Posts
7mm to a 270

there is a lot to read here so if I missed the answer to this, I apologize. What would it take to reduce my 7mm to a 270

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
basically, you need a barrel nut wrench, headspace gauge(s), barrel or action vise of some sort and a barrel. Midway or Brownells will have what you need

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
If its a Savage 110 in 7 mm Rem Mag, you'll need to change the bolt head for 270. They're about $20 at Midway, which is as good a price as I've seen for that bare part. For tools and parts you can also look at Sharp Shooter Supply. They sell the bolt heads, but only as assemblies with all other parts, so they cost more. They have barrel wrenches, barrel vice blocks, etceteral Indeed, you can call them and check on what you need? But, as Smokey said, we don't know for sure what 7 mm you're starting with?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Yes, the 06 is the parent cartridge of the 270, so its just a matter of changing the barrel and headspacing it properly

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,093 Posts
Yup, just did the reverse, a rusted .30-06 barrel came off and a .270 went on.

·
Registered
225 Posts
How to rebarrel a Savage 110

Howdy,

I checked out that web site, and wanted to check it out as a guest. But I could not find anything that would allow me a look w/o joining and paying a fee. before I spend my hard to come by extra cash, I like to see what I am getting.:)
Could you explain how I can get on as a guest to check it out?

Thanks!

longrangehunter

There is a support group for this addiction at www.savageshooters.com. A wealth of information and much technical assistance. They even have the Savage equivalents to crack dealers there that will sell you anything your addiction requires. Hi my name is ctrout and I have been a Savage addict for about 9 months. I'm currently starting my second build and have an offer in on a third action for a build that is in the planning stages (338 Edge). My first build, a 338-06 is running nicely.

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
Savageshooters.com requires paid membership to read their articles, but you can view their forum as a guest, and I believe joining the forum is free. The forum page is:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

·
Registered
225 Posts
How to barrel a Savage 110

Howdy Nick,

I tried that URL but when I got there it would NOT let me register. Any ideas why? :confused:

longrangehunter

Savageshooters.com requires paid membership to read their articles, but you can view their forum as a guest, and I believe joining the forum is free. The forum page is:

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
I had no problem registering. I clicked "Register". That took me to a registration page. The option to log in or register remained in the upper left, so at first it didn't look like anything had changed, but scrolling down showed boxes for putting in a username, email account, and solving scramble puzzles. Solving the first one and pushing the button results in a text code to cut and paste from one box to the next. When that was done, I answered a second puzzle about word color (the puzzles and cut and paste are anti-spambot measures) then checked that I agreed to their conditions and that I was over 18. It said it sent me a registration confirmation e-mail. I have not yet received that, but it claimed I was successful.

Do you have Javascript running in your computer? It asks for that at one point.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Excellent "sticky"! I am working on re-barreling a Model 10 (very old) from it's worn .243 barrel to .358 WCF. Will that pose any particular problems? For example, will I need to work on the magazine area to get the wider bullets to feed reliably?

·
Super Moderator
13,167 Posts
Both being children of the .308, the two are identical except for the neck diameter and the 0.070" longer maximum COL in the .358 Win. With the bodies being identical, I expect the same magazine lips to work. Worst case would be if they extend past the shoulder, then widening for the neck might be needed, but I doubt you'll have issues with it. You could call Savage and ask if they know of any reason? You could load a few .243's, and, before you finish seating the bullets all the way, leave them out at 2.780" and make sure they fit and feed OK. I expect they will.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Did a 257 Roberts on a 110 rifle in 270. Kept the old 270 for a swap barrel. The barrel was a much maligned A&B from Midway. Works great. Well worth the effort. Put the barreled action into a Hogue stick. None of this was supposed to work. Ha.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
23,815 Posts
Sounds like you've got the magic touch, William! :)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts