Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Years ago, smith who installed scope on my M98 sporter applied one kind of epoxy between scope and mounts. Now, when I want to change scope, I need advice how to take them apart without using hammer or torch. Is any kind of chemical that could loosen epoxy bond and remove it from scope and mounts so they could be reused again. Thanks, Onty.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,406 Posts
You might try acetone.

By the way, some epoxy formulas will release with just a bit of heat.  You might try a hair dryer, and if that doesn't work, carefully use a heat gun.

Best of luck.  If there is any luck for you at all in this, the scope tube might not have stuck to the epoxy all that bad.  Depends on the surface finish, and whether it was degreased.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most "clear" epoxies will start to soften at around 250 degrees F, "industrial" epoxies at around 300 degrees.  He may have just used Brownells Acraglass bedding compound, in which case you might contact them.  If he used something like JB Weld, you might have a more serious problem.  Acetone will loosen many epoxies, just make sure you do it in a well ventilated space.  I'm a knifemaker,by the way, and had to learn the hard way about heat and epoxy.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Onty

A second way is to freeze the scope & rings and when just out of the freezer strike the ring sharply, not with a great amount of force but very sharply!  You don't want to hit it hard enough to damage the scope tube so this is somewhat subjective.

I don't recall your mentioning, but did he epoxy just the ring bases, or did he glue the whole thing together?  Both this method and those above can work depending on the specific epoxy used.  before any of these methods will work you must at least remove the ring screws.

Next time, ask the "smith" how he intends to secure the scope in the rings before letting him have the rifle.  This is a oldie but a goodie which still works as well as any method, and better than most.  Before putting the scope in the rings, sprinkle some powdered rosin in both the ring and cap.  When tightened this will hold the scope from moving as well as anything.  When you remove the scope you can clean it up with turpentine, Hoppe's, or just about anything else you would use to clean the gun.

If heat, cold, or acetone don't work just hope you have another gun that uses a mount with precisely the same ring spacing!  BTW, Acetone will clean up uncured epoxy, but rarely will it have any effect on cured material.  Even if it did, you would have to soak the scope in it which would destroy the scope seals and make the whole issue an exercise in futility.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Onty,
A chemical called methyline chloride will clean any epoxy that I have ever used. It is a hazardous chemical and should be used with great care.
It can be found in OLD paint removers,and cleaners and degreasers,etc.
Find a way to let some set on the epoxy for a while to soften it. Don't inhale it,wear gloves.
Frank

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to all of you. I wouldn't be able to tell you how removing process worked until end of the year since rifle is located in my native town in Europe. Actually, RINGS are cemented on scope, epoxy used is a clear one, brand unknown. Thanks Frank on proven advice about methyline chloride. Did anybody try MEK? I have heard that it is one of few the strongest solvents. Removal process would be done in one of chemical labs there since they have proper equipment.
Existing scope is 6x42. The main reason for replacement is because I found that it has too much magnification for anything closer than 150 yd. I would probably go with one of 1.5-5(or 6)x30(or 32). Regards, Onty.

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Onty,
I worked in a Chemical Dept.,and had access to plenty of different chemicals,including Methyl Ethyl Ketone. The best,by far,was Methylenre Chloride. You can speed it up by adding 10% Methanol.
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts