Shooters Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Sig is leaving elongated marks on the primers instead of a round hole. Is this a problem? Could it puncture a primer?

Probably a burr on the end of the firing pin. How do you remove the firing pin to polish the burr?

If you look down inside the slide, there is a round half moon metal shape.
Do you turn or push on this to release the firing pin?

This should be simple. I'd hate to have to take it to a gunsmith.

muddy flats

·
The Shadow (Moderator)
9,947 Posts
I personally don't know Sig's, but my guess is they are identical to Glock, XD's, etc..
All striker fired pistols that I have owned don't have pretty round fireing pins. They look like a bad casting..... In any case my Glocks and XD shows vertical "elongation" marks, because that is how the striker is made.
Shoot a dozen rounds and compare the primers, ALL IDENTCAL? then you have your answer. If the markings are different, and inconsistent; then there may be an issue.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Do you have a Sig Manual? If not, go on-line and find out how to take a Sig Slide down to clean it, then do it. One big problem with some people "cleaning" guns is squirting a lot of crap into the firing pin hole to "lube it". This junk congeals over time/heat and slows movement. If you have to "squirt" something in there, use "Gunscrubber" or a auto brake part cleaner that cuts oil and grease junk. Flush it well !. Then use a little light lube like Rem Oil. Once ou have it all apart, check for "burrs", use fine emery paper to very lightly polish any detected flaws, lightly oil, and re-assemble. Never shoot Russian ammo in anything US(coating melts and causes jams). Hope this hepls. I carried a Sig P220 .45 for years as an LEO/Instructor and with a cleaned weapon never had any issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.