Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to be able to sling my 1886; not so much for when I am hunting, but rather to make packing out game easier after the kill.  I'd also like to avoid putting sling swivels on, if possible.  Is there some sort of sling that would slip over the butt and the barrel, and "cinch-tighten"?

Any suggestions?

Tom

·
Banned
40 Posts
Tom,
several muzzloader suppliers offer slings that lace on the butt stock and are attached by leather to the barrell or magazine tube. You should be able to pick one up at any store that sells ML supplies. Mine came from Wall-Mart.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I've seen sling mounts that clamp on the barrel and tube. That with a lace on adapter on the buttstock and you have it made.

Might also take a 1 1/2 wide strip of leather, cut a slit near one end, run the other end of the sling through the slit and slip that over the muzzle. Do the same
on the other end and slide it on the wrist.

The good thing about this type of sling is that it can be carried in a pocket with no concern for weight, plus it can be used for other things.

Might want to experiment with this "instant sling" to make sure it works out for you before you use it on an actual hunt.
J.D.

·
Registered
107 Posts
For my Model 71 and my M1895 Marlin I use an Uncle Mikes Nylon Shotgun Sling.  The part number is 26801 and they retail for $18.95.  It is designed to do exactly what you want - sling your rifle/shotgun without drilling for studs.  It is leather lined on the barrel end so it doesn't slip. Odessa

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a mag tube clamp type.  Instead of putting the screw in the buttstock, I thought of just unscrewing the buttplate and then putting the butt end of the sling under there and replacing the buttplate.   Might take out the white spacer to keep the pull nearly the same.   Sort of low tech redneck but I think it would work fine.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
Tom,
I use one of those shotgun slings that slip over the muzzle and buttstock on my pre 64 94 since I too don't want to drill my wood.  Got it thru Cabela's, about 25.00

1 - 6 of 6 Posts