Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to stop an 8mm Bullet? - I don't have the answer yet!

Was at the range today and decided to try one of my scientific experiments.:D

Set up 8 water filled gallon milk jugs in a line and shot my 8mmx57 deer and hog load through them! It ripped up (blew-up?) the first five but still penetrated the last three. Was really hopeing to stop that bullet so I could recover the bullet and see how it expanded. Thought 8 jugs would work - they are about 6" across, so in total that was 48" penetrated!

I set the jugs up on a board laid across 2 chairs about the height of my shooting bench. Took a lot of adjusting to get the jugs lined up in a row with my line of fire. Finally had a sight picture of just one jug with the other seven behind it. I had set up a target next to the line of jugs. Then shot that target to get sighted in at that distance. Took good aim and fired at the jugs. Hit the first one dead center. bullet when through all 8. By time it got to the last jug it had deflected off course about 2 to 3" as it penetrated the last one coming out the bottom left corner of the jug. Was a big splash hit with all the folks at the range!:D

SOOOOO........ How much more milk do y'all think I'll have to drink to stop a 220 grain 8x57 Mauser?

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
Filling #8 with sand ought to do it, but that kind of defeats the whole idea.

Been using big gallon sized plastic bags. As the range is surrounded by water, I con't have to carry that along with me...and a little green crud, sediment, or the occasional crayfish doesn't seem to matter one way or the other.

If you can keep the bullet from wandering off (just random luck) then 12-14 jugs should do it on a guess....takes about that much to stop one of the old 215gr. .303's.

·
Registered
12,617 Posts
It's a good thing you wern't using an 8mm mag you would have to have a water truck with you.

Some folks are using wet phone books, they say it's more like shooting an animal. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
187 Posts
faucettb said:
It's a good thing you wern't using an 8mm mag you would have to have a water truck with you.

Some folks are using wet phone books, they say it's more like shooting an animal. I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try.
If you're looking to simplly recover a mushroomed bullet, then use the wet phone book or two... that will do it for sure. If you're trying to see how many gallon jugs of water it takes, well... just bring a lot of them and line them ALL up the very first time and see... then use the rest for fun, one at a time.

On a side note ... what bullet are you using? The answer to that question has a lot to do with how many of what it's gonna take to stop the bullet in question...

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
I'm a bit surprized that 8 milk jugs didn't stop your bullet as four 10 liter spray jugs will stop a 165 grain Partition out of a .30-06. I would expect a 220 grainer to go further, but one or two more milk jugs should do it. As you noted, bullets tend to go off course and a row of jugs on either side of your target row is a good idea.

Have you seen the excellent expansion tests by Gary Sciuchetti in Handloader #193, June-July 1998? The average penetration by 180 grain .308 bullets was about 16-18" in wet phone books. Velocities were from 3100 FPS down to 1400 fps if they were still expanding. Some that didn't expand went 48" or more. He tested 39 different bullets :eek:

I don't have a supply of big city phone books so I use newspapers for wetpack. Tie them loosely in 4" bundles and soak for 24 hours. They'll swell to 6-7".

Here's aome results I got a while back.
http://www.shootersforum.com/showthread.htm?t=1740

Bye
Jack

·
Banned
1,002 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
WGM said:
If you're looking to simplly recover a mushroomed bullet, then use the wet phone book or two... that will do it for sure. If you're trying to see how many gallon jugs of water it takes, well... just bring a lot of them and line them ALL up the very first time and see... then use the rest for fun, one at a time.

On a side note ... what bullet are you using? The answer to that question has a lot to do with how many of what it's gonna take to stop the bullet in question...
WGM,

Well yes - I want to recover a bullet but in a way so I can gain some insight to what happened on a shot last fall. I had used that load to shoot a nice 8 point from a high box stand - Its a Sierra 220 grain GameKing. The shot was broadside just behind the front leg. The deer kicked, then jumped and ran off!?

I though he was hit good, So waited a while then got down to find him. When I got to the spot the deer was standing I could find no blood. Think I saw dust kick-up form the other side of the deer after the shot(60 yards at a down angle). The dust gave me a idea of where the bullet hit and I found that spot on the ground - but no blood. None found on his trail either for the 50 yards I could follow!

Went back to the stand and took a good look at that spot on the ground and still believe I hit him. Left the rifle uncleaned till I could get back to the range. The next three round were perfect 1" high on target at 60 yards. So that's how I came to want to stop the bullet to see 1) How much penetration would occur and 2) What it looked like when it came to a stop!

PS: ribbonstone, Thanks for the sand in #8 idea.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It does my heart good to know there is at least one other person who loves the 8mm as much as I. It just is the
perfect bolt action round to me. Have you taken much other
game with the Game king bullets. I was just wondering if
it is built for the 8mm mag if didn't fail to expand at the
close range shotfrom the slower moving cartridge. I haven't
used it.

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
It should have slowed down enough by #8...but sand may be too abrasive....kind of wasteful, but could fill one up (perferably with the top cut off so it's a big "cup") with putty (glazing compound? duct seal?).

The .303 215gr. I refered to were the old FMJ rounds...from the sound of it, you're getting FMJ perfomance from those 220gr. 8mm bullets....and that might expalin your deer shot.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,776 Posts
Try about 6"+ of DRY phonebooks or newspaper behind your jugs. Pentration in dry paper is less than in wet, but your jugs should slow the bullet down enough that the paper won't damage the bullet.

Bye
Jack

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
fremont said:
Throw a package of plain gelatin powder in each one. That'll slow your bullet down. ;)
25 years ago, when I got married, was a traditon of thowing a "pantry party" to help fill the nwlywed's kitchen. ended up with 27 boxes of Jello of various flavors. Hate the stuff.

After letting it sit on the shelf for a decade, decided to use it up as you describe. Doesn't really seem to lsow a bullet doen all that much more than water, but sure makes pretty rainbow sprays.

Used up one pack and a styrofoam wig head to imprese upong my nephew the deadliness of a .22. Cut head in half...hollowed it out...placed a bag of reasberrry Jello inside the wig-head, glued it back together. He's nearly 30 now, but treats even a .22 with the respect it deserves.

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
Hate jello?!?!?! I think the key is to mix the stuff about 4x stronger than the recipe calls for

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I got a feeling that 220 Gameking is made for the velocities of the 8mm Rem Mag, and is a good deal tougher than a typical 8mm bullet designed for the 8x57.
I've seen a buncha deer killed with the 8x57 handloaded with several different bullets in the 150 grain to 175 grain range. They seem to be designed for the 2600/2800 fps range the 8x57 produces. With those bullets, i've always seen a blood trail.
Haven't tried the Nosler 180 grain Ballistic Tip, but I'd like to. Oughta be a good one.

·
Banned
185 Posts
I think your 220 grain bullet acted like a FMJ and did not expand. They are intended for higher velocities. I would use a 190-200 grain bullet designed for the 8 X57 mauser. Since you are handloading, call the bullet maker, and ask what velocity range the bullet was made for. Perhaps stick with a more frangible design if you do not plan on shooting through the shoulders. Perhaps the european makers Brenneke, and Lapua have a good bullet for you. Greg

·
Registered
230 Posts
When you line up contiguous water jugs, I think that the bullet reacts as if it had hit a continuous, solid medium; the shock from the first jug it transferred into the second jug, etc. I have been wanting to try water jugs, spaced 2-3 inches apart. That way, each penetration is a new impact for the bullet. It may make a big difference.

Darrel

·
Banned
441 Posts
Ray,
I have to agree with the comments about bullet construction. If you have a bandsaw, try and section one of those 220 Sierras to see how thick the jacket is, and do the same to a 185 CoreLokt or 175 Hornady. I would also load up some of the lighter weight bullets and perform the same penetration tests with them and compare. Double the number of jugs or start using larger containers. At some point you will recover the bullet.
PS
The safest way to section is to drill a hole slightly larger than bullet diameter in a block of wood, insert the bullet, and cut through both. Leave enough room on the sides for finger clearance, and use a fine toothed blade. You can also use a hacksaw, but that takes longer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Try using 3 to 4 feet of wet news paper ! I use the speer 225gr round nose bullet ! Serria bullets shoot excellent but don't alway open up ! Your bullet was for the 8mm mag velocities ! JAGG

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Put news paper in plastic shopping bags and soak with water. Stack bags of paper end to end in a cardboard box, use several boxes if need be. I find this works the best and gives a real good indication of how a bullet will perform on an animal. Tos simulate tough skin, put and old leather glove on the end of the first box so the bullet goes through that first.

I've had very good results with the Nosler Partition bullets, good rapid expansion and good penetration, the have these in a 200gr. Nothing against Sierra, used a lot of them too but perhaps you'd be better going with the 175gr pro hunter if you want to stay with Sierra brand.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts