Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are any of you familiar with any of the "how to" videos for beginners like me? Actually, I'm not even a beginner yet. Just preparing to be a beginner. I guess that makes me a want-a-be handloader. Any advice/opinions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
If you haven't already done so, you should pick up a reloading manual that has a in-depth "how-to" section and become familiar with it also. Between the the manual, a video, and this forum, I'm sure you'll do OK. As Alk stated, both Hornady and RCBS have reloading videos.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at Midway USA's web sight and saw that they have several videos listed for reloading. Hornady, RCBS, Sierra to name just a few. The Sierra one is two hours long. The others are much shorter. Has anyone seen these videos? Are any worth getting? The Sierra one must be quite thorough if it's two hours long.
Rob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I started reloading about 17 years ago, so by the time the videos came out I pretty much had it down. For the cost of the video you can buy one or two quality reloading manuals. If it where my money, I would buy the manuals and study the "how to reload" sections. You'll be money ahead because it's always wise to have 2 or more current manuals to cross reference when selecting loading data. Powders, and sometimes projectiles, change over time and the data is altered to accomodate these changes. I've got 20 or so loading manuals in addition to other references, not including the freebees from the powder mfg's, which I suggest you pick up or print out the data off the websites for the cartridges you want to reload. The loading manuals should be selected according to what bullets and/or powders you want to use. I would suggest a Lyman manual as one of them because they do a good job with the "how to" part and also list bullets from many different makers, as well as many powders. An additional benefit of the Lyman manuals is that they include cast bullets, which most bullet company reloading manuals do not, with the exception of their swaged bullets. While the powder makers manuals list different projectiles, they typically only list one brand of powder. If you have any "stupid" questions, you've got lots of experienced reloaders at your disposal on this website. You'll watch the video once or twice, but you'll use the manuals for years. Get a manual, or two, and ask the questions that remain unanswered. We're here to help, even though we sometimes argue over this or that, there is a invaluable wealth of knowledge here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks kicH,
What you say makes sense. Can you tell me,out of all the manuals you have, which ones do you find yourself going to the most? Which have been the most useful to you over the years? I know Lyman is good, but what about the others?
Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
It really depends on what bullets you intend to use. I would buy the Lyman first, unless you intend to use a cartridge that Honrady has helped to become a factory round. Speer, Hornady, and Sierra are the bullet makers that make the most bullets for the most rounds, pretty much in that order, but you could reverse the first two. It's up to you to evaluate what you're going to load. If you're going to load handgun, I'd get the Lyman and the Hornady. If you're going to load hunting rifle rounds, I'd entertain the Nosler and Barnes. If you want to do some cast bullet rifle or pistol, I'd get the Lyman and whatever brand of bullet you want to use. What are you going to load first? What else do you want to load? What use do you intend to put the cartridges to? Hunting or Benchrest? Bullseye or Slamin Steel? IPSC or whatever? What are the caliber(s) that you are looking to load? I say buy em all! That way you're never left in the dark about what to do. If you give us an idea of what you want to do, we can give you an idea of where to start! The bad thing about loading manuals is that on some boring night, you're going to look at other stuff, that other stuff is going to look cool, you're gong to want to have it. Well, I don't know if it's good or bad to be honest, it's kept me out of trouble for the most part. Anyway, if you give us an idea of what you want to accomplish, and what type of bullets you want to use, we can make a suggestion. The "we" being the contributors of this forum, which represent a very diverse group of shooters. Between the group, you'll find all sorts of enthusiasts of all types of firearms. As Hillary said "it takes a village", and that's about the only time you'll hear of me agreeing with that woman. Somehow or another, I don't thik her book was about the shooting community!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,300 Posts
Cast bullets, both rifle & handgun: Lyman #47, and presumably, the new #48 although I haven't seen it yet. A must for reduced cast loads for rifles.

Jacketed: Hodgdon #27 - has data for all major powders, although not completely current (nothing is).

Silhouette & 30,000CUP .45 Colt loads: Hodgdon #26, out of print, but you might find a used one cheap somewhere.

Cheap: The Hodgdon/Shooting Times 'annual loading manual' which is only $7.99 and really a big magazine, but a bargain none the less.

Free: Freebie manuals from powder manufacturers, also you can find data from Hodgdon (but just for their powders), Winchester, and Alliant free on-line.

Shotguns: Lyman shotshell handbook, and free powder company information.

General reloading: ABCs of Reloading, I have the 3rd edition with Dean Grennell & Wiley Clapp.

You can't have too many but presumably, you may have to start out with only a few. I also have Sierra, Speer, Nosler (2), and Barnes although I usually look to Hodgdon #26 or #27 first.

Even with a budget of less than $10 you should be able to buy the Hodgdon / Shooting Times magazine & download serveral other manuals for free, and add others as budget allows.

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Rob:
May I suggest that while the Hornady manual is good, you can buy BOTH the Lyman AND Speer for less than the Hornady alone. The best Canadian price I found is at Russell's.
http://www.russellsports.com
Lyman just released their #48 manual, the #47 may be on sale. Midway or one of the other American dealers might be cheaper than Russell's for books, but if you want to order any componets at the same time, I prefer ordering from a Canadian dealer to avoid the Customs hassle.

Most of the extra cost of the Hornady manual is in the 2nd volume which is mostly ballistic tables. The free PointBlank program is availble here:http://www.huntingnut.com/pointblank.html

Bye
Jack

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you everyone for your helpful advice. Sounds like I have some downloading to do. Also some required reading. ( This is like being in school again- learning is always fun):)

Thanks Jack, for the Canadian connection. I'll have to look at Russells web sight. For some reason I thought they only sold to retailors.

Thanks for your advice kciH, but did you have to bring Hillary into it!?

I'm sure I will have more questions as time goes by. I plan to keep things rather simple. I will only be reloading for one gun - 7mm08. I know- famous last words. Actually, I was telling my wife tonight how nice it would be to have a .357mag lever gun. A dangerous thing to say when you're helping her do the dishes! Ow! And I thought those dishes were unbreakable. ( I'm just kidding. My wife is the best!:D )
Later,
Rob

·
Beartooth Regular
7,768 Posts
Hi, Rob:
Here's more Canadian mail-order outfits. SIR is older than even Mr. Gates :), prices are a little high, and selection is less than it used to be. They don't handle Speer. Wholesale Sports does sell retail, and usually has the best prices. Russells is usually in between on prices, but they're the only one listing both the Lyman and Speer manual and at the best price too.

Lebaron and Epps are in Ontario. I haven't dealt with them since they're further away, but that means they're closer to you.
http://sirmailorder.ca/
http://www.wholesalesports.com/
http://www.lebaron.ca/
http://www.ellwoodepps.com/

Bye
Jack

1 - 11 of 11 Posts