Shooters Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a good quality scope like a Bushnell Elite and solid rings (Leupold STD), how tough is it to knock it out of zero? I was placing my gun up for storage muzzle down and the ocular bell "bumped" a hard surface. It did not fall, I had control it just bumped the wall. Should I recheck zero?

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
I doubt there was any zero change. If a scope's not broken to begin with, it generally takes a pretty good whack. But, here's the truth -- you'll never know for sure until you shoot it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
ive seen uncut videos, as in no breaks in footage, of guys dropping rifles off walls, up to 15 or 16 feet in height and immediately shoot a group at 100M. poi was barely off poa. but like pisgah said, throw more lead down range and check for yourself. never hurts to throw lead.

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,762 Posts
I'm sure you realize "bumped" is not sufficiently quantitative to expect any answers other than "probably not, but the only way to really know is to recheck it."?

·
Registered
817 Posts
If all you did was "bump" it you need not worry. I have a rifle that rides in the vehicle with me everyday and it holds zero. Granted it wears a $1000 scope but if the road vibrations don't affect my zero then I don't think a bump has messed up your zero. I have knocked some rifles around pretty good and only once every had an issue with a zero drifting.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I doubt there was any zero change. If a scope's not broken to begin with, it generally takes a pretty good whack. But, here's the truth -- you'll never know for sure until you shoot it.

Just like traveling on an airplane. Most likely the weapon didn't sustain any major impacts especially if the aluminum case doesn't show any signs, and it would probably shoot just as well as it did before you packed it. But you never truly know unless you shoot it and I always do after a flight.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had to adjust 5 clicks right and 4 clicks up today, but I think it was a little off before. Final group was 1.5" which is not my best but acceptable.

·
Registered
930 Posts
It depends on the quality of the scope and wher the impact happened.

I once had my CVA slide off the bench at the shooting range and fall onto the cement floor. It hit hard enough to remove some paint from one of the turret covers, and also put a slight ding in the outmost edge of the objective bell.

It shot just as good after the fall as before; I didn't have to adjust a thing.

The scope is a RedHead Epic, which is made by Bushnell. It's not as expensive as yours, so I wouldn't worry about a thing.

I had a Tasco World Class that wouldn't hold zero, and the worst shock it ever got (as far as I recall) was recoil from a 270 WIN. I had another cheap Tasco on my 12 guage slug gun, and once the recoil jammed the scope into my face and the scope slid up th erings as far as the bell. The left side of the crosshair now has a visible break in it. But I still use that scope on a 22 and it seems to hold zero pretty well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts