Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone this is my first post so please be tolerant . i have purchased a new Howa 1500 varminter it a .223 and has a heavy stainless steel barel a laminated thumbhole stock and a t8 moderator fitted .could anyone tell me what grain bullet i should be using it is a 1 in 12 twist and i will be fireing my first round next Saturday at the range it is a 100mtr range your help would be great thanks Pete in the UK

·
Super Moderator
13,632 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids. Other rules are in stickies around the forum.

Bullet length is more critical than weight. If you are buying commercial ammunition rather than reloading, I think you'll find you can shoot most commercial loads up to the 65 grain Sierra GameKing OK. So, 50 to 65 grains is where I would look. The flat base, spire point 63's, at about 3/4" long, should be about optimal. You'll have stability problems with the 69 grain match bullets and greater lengths. The 69's will not be so unstable as to tumble in normal weather, but will be near the edge, so that they may tumble in cold weather and would not achieve best accuracy.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Welcome to ShootersForum, Pete.

Uncle Nick knows ballistics like you probably know soccer, so you can bet on his recommendation. Are you going to load your own ammunition, or did you have a particular factory load in mind?

·
Registered
853 Posts
I have a friend that absolutely loves this action. He shoots 50 grain Sierras with it and has made some surprising long range shots on small varmints. He uses varget powder and winchester primers. He has his best luck with RP brass. Loads with a Lee deluxe set with factory crimp die.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys i would like to start reloading soon and any info you can give me is much needed. i thought i would buy 200 ppu rounds and then that would give me some brass to start the reloading with what do you think ? Pete.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also guys my son has a rem 700 with a 1 in 9 twist and he says that he will share is ammo with me to help keep the cost down for me i think he as purchased 69 grain ppu rounds Pete.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
That 1 in 9 will support those 69's MAYBE. A box of Sierra MK's in 69 says 1 in 8 twist or faster on the box. 1 in 12, just is not enough for a 69gr bullet.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That 1 in 9 will support those 69's MAYBE. A box of Sierra MK's in 69 says 1 in 8 twist or faster on the box. 1 in 12, just is not enough for a 69gr bullet.
My box of Sierra Matchking read 7"-10" TWIST BBLS. ONLY

They preform just fine from my Savage with a 1 in 9" twist.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
EW, I'll go back and look later. I got rid of all my .224" bullets when I gave my 22-250 away. I could be wrong then. Guess there is a first time fo reverything :D

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I was gonna say...1:9 is fast enough to stabilize just about anything, in a .223, isn't it? Definitely want to go with shorter/lighter bullets, with a 1:12 twist, so you and your boy might not be able to shoot the same ammo, unless he's willing to go with the 50 or 52gr bullets that will work better in your gun?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for all that info guys you have all been great cheers, i will let you know how it all pans out on Saturday when i get back thanks once again Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Rules are to join and have fun and play nicely with the rest of us kids. Other rules are in stickies around the forum.

Bullet length is more critical than weight. If you are buying commercial ammunition rather than reloading, I think you'll find you can shoot most commercial loads up to the 65 grain Sierra GameKing OK. So, 50 to 65 grains is where I would look. The flat base, spire point 63's, at about 3/4" long, should be about optimal. You'll have stability problems with the 69 grain match bullets and greater lengths. The 69's will not be so unstable as to tumble in normal weather, but will be near the edge, so that they may tumble in cold weather and would not achieve best accuracy.
I love it when someone has extreme knowledge that I want!

Are you able to summarize why the longer bullet is not so good and why a flat based spire point would be optimal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
I love it when someone has extreme knowledge that I want!

Are you able to summarize why the longer bullet is not so good and why a flat based spire point would be optimal?

Thanks!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

Read the whole thing, or scroll down to "Twist Rate". In a nut-shell, for any given caliber, the rate of twist will determine what weight/length bullets will be stabilized properly, at a given velocity. All of these values are inter-related and change, significantly, as the bore size and barrel length change, so there are no absolutes. You simply have to try different bullets in your gun, to determine what it will be accurate with, although most guns will shoot most of the bullets in that caliber, from the most common rate of twist, for that caliber. For example, most .243 Winchester barrels will have a 1:9 twist, which will typically stabilize the heaviest bullets in that caliber.

·
Registered
39 Posts
howa223

Hi, everyone this is my first post so please be tolerant . i have purchased a new Howa 1500 varminter it a .223 and has a heavy stainless steel barel a laminated thumbhole stock and a t8 moderator fitted .could anyone tell me what grain bullet i should be using it is a 1 in 12 twist and i will be fireing my first round next Saturday at the range it is a 100mtr range your help would be great thanks Pete in the UK
That is a great choice brother! I had a CMC 22250 ( Howas former handle) it was a great allrounder. The 223 is the top selling calibre here in Australia. Hard to beat Sierra 50 grain at around 3300.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rifling

Read the whole thing, or scroll down to "Twist Rate". In a nut-shell, for any given caliber, the rate of twist will determine what weight/length bullets will be stabilized properly, at a given velocity. All of these values are inter-related and change, significantly, as the bore size and barrel length change, so there are no absolutes. You simply have to try different bullets in your gun, to determine what it will be accurate with, although most guns will shoot most of the bullets in that caliber, from the most common rate of twist, for that caliber. For example, most .243 Winchester barrels will have a 1:9 twist, which will typically stabilize the heaviest bullets in that caliber.

Wiki, while a good source sometimes, can also be really bad. It isn't professionally put together. Its information the public adds as they go along.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wiki, while a good source sometimes, can also be really bad. It isn't professionally put together. Its information the public adds as they go along.
Having read the Wiki article and some of the referenced data such as the Miller Twist Rule, I realize there is a great deal more research I must do to understand a small portion of what some of you already know.

In the mean time, can anyone answer a couple questions for me:
1. If a smaller diameter/lighter weight bullet stabilizes better with a faster twist rate, why do companies make a barrel with a 1:12 twist in .223?

2. Since I just bought a Remington SPS Varmint .223 with a 1:12 twist, and am in the process of testing ammo to find the right marriage....it would appear that my search for bullets with a higher BC may not be wise as these bullets are going to be longer...........................GREAT.....more stuff to consider!

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
People wanting to stick with lighter bullets, such as the 36gr Varmint Grenade, or the 40gr V-Max, need the slower twist. Spinning the smaller bullets, too fast will cause them to come apart in flight.

·
Banned
107 Posts
In my 1:12 twist .223 I have had very good accurccy with 55 gr. Hornady v-max and also 50 gr. Hornady SP's. These two bullets also had very good accuracy in my 1:9 twist Savage.:)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi, once again, went to the range on Saturday it was great , i try ed the 55 grain they shoot about 3/4 " but the 69 grain was not stable at all just on the target about 7" from the bull. i think some of it is down to me need lots more range time ! i will keep you all informed as to my progress but can anyone tell me what is the difference between .224 and the .223 bullet and which would you recommend me reloading and why ? Pete.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Hi, once again, went to the range on Saturday it was great , i try ed the 55 grain they shoot about 3/4 " but the 69 grain was not stable at all just on the target about 7" from the bull. i think some of it is down to me need lots more range time ! i will keep you all informed as to my progress but can anyone tell me what is the difference between .224 and the .223 bullet and which would you recommend me reloading and why ? Pete.
The 69's weren't stable, imagine that. Didnt I mention that before :p lol

1 - 20 of 36 Posts