Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently acquired a Howa 1500 .308 caliber. These rifles are simply spectacular. The question i have is about the scope, a BSA classic 3-12x50. I like the scope a lot, it is zeroed at 100 yards. The only drawback is it doesn't have target turrets, they are under a cap. I would liker a suggestion on a relatively cheap scope with close to the same magnification but with adjustable windage and elevation, I recently gained access to a 1000 yd range and would like to take the guess work out of aiming. Thanks alot. PS sorry i think this might be the wrong forum location, didnt see the optics section at first.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Welcome to the forum Lyndong4,

Be sure to read the stickies at the top of each forum for rules and FAQs.

Are you saying you want a scope with target turrets or a scope that is adjustable? All scopes are adjustable for windage and elevation, you just need to screw off the covering caps. Keep in mind if you want to make large adjustments, most scopes IIRC are graduated in 1/4 MOA clicks which means you'll move the group 1/4" at 100 yrds, 1" at 400 yards and 2.5" at 1000 yrds so if your groups are off by a lot, one clicks isn't going to cut it! :)

There's some very experienced individuals on this forum wrt long range shooting, so listen well to thier advice! 1000 yrds is a LONG way out there, make sure you know what your getting into and do lots of research on the ballistics of your gun so you know roughly where your going to hit before you start shooting. I doubt the range would appreciate you "lobbing" lead out there until you hit something (plus, how much fun would that be?)

Just a heads up, long range hunting is a very touchy subject here. I know you didn't mention hunting, but if you ever want to know anything about it, try using the search function before asking questions to avoid a flame war. :)

I'm glad you made it. See you around the forum.

Edit: I'm not saying you can't ask about long range hunting, just do so politely and tactfully, after doing some of your own research. It will be easier on everyone. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ya can't take the caps off, site in and put the caps on????? You are actually better off with covered settings in my HO.. In and out of a case could move the settings.. May be a tad inconvient but ......................

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You may also need new rings...not all scopes have enough elevation to switch between 100 and 1000 yards. I never use a windage knob...want my scope centered at zero wind. Need to learn to hold for the blow...otherwise, you'd be crankin on that thing all day.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1000 yards would still involve some luck no matter how much technology was bolted to my rifle. I would maybe take a few potshots at that range but the 300-600 would be the range i would aim for accuracy.

As far as hunting, I already have bagged one deer with this gun, and would use it for hunting. Most of my experience hunting has found that a shot over 150 yards is rare, that's why i like adjustable magnification.

So I would say the scope I am searching for is a relatively low cost scope with adjustable magnification AND target turrets, for some long range shooting.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Did you resolve your issue with the scope? If you have, I would like to hear how you are doing with the 1500 at longer ranges. I am in the process of building an informal target rifle in 308, starting with the Howa 1500 barreled action.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
I bought these 30 years ago for my Lyman Seibert 24X. They screw on where the caps go and allow for external adjustments. I dont know who made them, and dont know if they are available anymore, but, I will say that they have worked well to this day. Do some research and see what you can find.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts