Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I rebarreled my old 223, I got a "hankering" for another one. Got a real good price on the Howa with the overmold stock, and it came with a Nikko scope. I've been hearing about that Nikon M223 so I ordered one of the 4-12x through Midway, along with a Timney trigger. I adjusted the trigger to about 1.5#
I'm not a Nikon fan but this was a good idea they had. The scope is designed for the 223 with a 55 grain bullet at about 3250fps.
It has one single duplex crosshair which I like. If the range is long, just range it and dial it up on the scope. It makes shooting coyotes at 500 yards so easy( HA HA)
Anyway, the trigger took about 15 minutes with a dremel tool and then it fits perfect.
I shot 3/4" groups with this rifle this evening with a high wind. I only shot it about 12 times. I think the little Howa is a good shooter and will do much better on a good day, it has a 22" barrel where the Vanguard has a 24" if I'm correct.
Anyway, I won't handload for this rifle as I tend to shoot this caliber a lot more than any other, and I'd be spending all my time loading.
That's my "product review"

Attachments

·
Registered
7,853 Posts
I think the Howa line is one of the best value/$$ there is out there. They are, by and large, twins to the Weatherby Vanguard, another great value! I have thought that the Ranchland Compact model would make a fine all-weather woods rifle. I'd also not hesitate buying a Howa SS action as the start of a custom rifle. Thanks for your input on a rifle (line) that I've been looking at for some time now!

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The trigger that comes on a Howa/Vanguard looks just like a Timney and probably is, but this one didn't have the adjustment screw like the aftermarket trigger. I paid $95.00 for that trigger and it helped minimize my groups considerably.
Very good rifle value for the money.
By the way, if anyone wants the new Nikko 2-10x with the illuminate crosshair, $25 will get it.
Thx

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,720 Posts
Hey I gotta try that scope for night hunting. Not sure what I'll put it on, but I'll put it on something. Hang on to it, I'll be up there sometime to check on the pigs, etc.

Consider it sold. Think I will set it up on one of my Marlins .....

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey I gotta try that scope for night hunting. Not sure what I'll put it on, but I'll put it on something. Hang on to it, I'll be up there sometime to check on the pigs, etc.

Consider it sold. Think I will set it up on one of my Marlins .....
Its a good scope, its worth 4 bags of corn + tax

·
36,720 Posts
Works for me.

·
The Troll Whisperer (Moderator)
24,131 Posts
Does that include hefting them up and loading into the feeder, too? :p

·
36,720 Posts
Negotiable. He may have to provide the hydration, afterwards. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts