Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have recently expanded my hobbies and have picked up hand loading for my Howa 1500 in .308 24'' BB on an Axiom stock. I have installed a Timney Trigger and have a 6.5-20-44 Vortex Viper on top.

This is the first rifle I have ever purchased and boy am I glad I invested in this rifle. Running up on my one year anniversary of the purchase and numerous deer in the freezer it hasn't let me down yet. Even with CBC M80 ball ammo it will shoot 1MOA at 100yds. Not the best by any means but not bad for cheap ammo. Anyways, moving on I have started to develop some loads using 41grs Benchmark powder and 165gr Sierra SBT's and 168gr Matchkings, PPU brass, and 210 Primers. The Matchkings are outstanding shooting .3-.4MOA at 100yds and under an inch at 300yds from a bipod and rear bag.(With 5-10 minutes of cooling between shots). The 165gr SBT's are also exceptional, I intend to use these mostly as hunting loads for the upcoming fall and can gladly say they shoot .6-.75 MOA depending on seating depth(OAL: 2.75''-2.77) and out to 300yds are great for a relatively available and cheap bullet at just over 1.1'' for the three shot group posted. If anyone has any other load data using Varget or 4064 please share. I am in the hunt for some light (110-130gr) loads that are accurate enough out to 300yds for coyotes and the fastest velocity loads recorded using 155-168gr. If you have anything to share please do. I'm looking forward to progressing and experimenting with this rifle and from what I have seen so far it should be promising!
To anyone thinking that the Howa's are junk compared to Remington think again this is a great rifle and can shoot with the best!

https://drive.google.com/?tab=mo&authuser=0#my-drive

·
Banned
4,925 Posts
I have a stainless M1500 in .223Rem. Love it. One of my more favorite guns. The appreciation for quality the Japanese have is evident in the Howa rifles. It just feels "right" when the bolt closes on either a loaded or an empty chamber. I have not gotten into seeing how accurate it is just because my ammo is an assortment of mil-surp cases, simple FMJ bullets and "close enough" charges. I believe a Howa is an excellent rifle for anybody who wants a quality piece. And they're not all that expensive. About the only other thing we have in common is that I lived at Foxridge in Blacksburg while a student at Va Tech; graduated in 1988. It was a nice town back then. The U has certainly expanded since those days...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I've got a howa 1500 in 22-250 a very nice rifle but it won't shoot with my m-700's. Luck of the draw I guess. I think if I put a new stock on mine it would tighten up a little but I am yet to do so

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Vortex, welcome to the forum, it's a great place if you like the kind of stuff you posted about and will enjoy this. On the Howa, was that a used rifle ? The reason I ask is because 2 1/2 years ago I bought one of the new Weatherby S2 Rifles and the Howa 1500 has the same action/trigger, Howa builds the Weatherby S2 line. But the new 2 stage match quality trigger they put on the Howa and the Weatherby S2 is an absolutely wonderful trigger, in my opinion. They are adjustable, creep FREE, and as smooth and crisp as you'd want. I have yet to touch mine and will not do anything to it at all. The truth is, it's the best trigger on a out of the box rifle I've shot and could have easily been as good or better than what you put on. On the other hand, a few months ago I bought a new Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 for a rifle and really like it. The new Viper HS 6.5-24x 44 or 50 is really sweet, great stuff !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, Fred I purchased it new and have about 150-200 rounds through it. I also bought a Vanguard S2 in 7mm-08 for a mountain rifle. I completely agree that the new Vanguard triggers are awesome and are great out of the box. Have yet to do any groups yet but am eager to get behind the trigger of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts