Shooters Forum banner

HOWA rifle safety notice, bolt recalled

39K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  wyo85 
#1 ·
In the December 2002 issue of the American Rifleman (p. 85) is an Important Safety Notice concerning Howa rifles made between 1970 and 1993.
I just read it last night, while perusing the magazine.
Anyway ...
"Howa Machinery Ltd. of Japan is performing a safety upgrade on all Model 1500, 1550 and 1700LS series rifles manufactured between 1970 and 1993.
"The affected rifles bear serial numbers from one of the following series on the receiver: PN00010 through PN87159, LS00001 through LS05150, M000001 through M020422, LS10001 through LS10309, B000001 through B028450.
"The safety upgrade will replace the bolt sleeve to prevent misassembly of the bolt, which might occur on affected rifles. Such misassembly might result in a hazardous condition in which the rifle can be accidentally discharged without the bolt being fully engaged, causing severe injury.
"These rifles were distributed by Smith & Wesson, O.F. Mossberg and Sons and Interarms. These rifles may bear the distributor trademark.
"Stop using your rifle immediately and visit our website at www.regen.com/howa or call Howa at 1-800-456-5131 to receive a Bolt Return Kit.
"Only the bolt sleeve is being upgraded. Your bolt will be returned to you after the upgrade.
"NO OTHER HOWA RIFLES ARE AFFECTED. CHECK YOUR SERIAL NUMBER

See less See more
#12 ·
A safety recall is never out of date.

Bye
Jack
I fully agree. Accidents happen when we let our attention depart from a safety mindset. I quit my shootin' club on July 3, 2011 because I walked downrange about 30 feet before the range had been called Cold. All the weapons were flagged, all actions open and all magazines dropped, but the range had not yet been called Cold. The RSO asked me "Hey, where you goin? The range ain't cold yet." I was so embarrassed and so angry at myself for such a failure, I emailed the secretary that afternoon and resigned. I will never go back. I failed and I must pay the consequences. True, there are a gazillion places to shoot right around here, but it's just more fun to shoot with friends and from a rock-solid bench under canopy...

#9 ·
I sent this to my hunting partner who owns a .300 Win mag by S&W, (Howa made). Sure enough, he has one of the recalled serial numbers. Thanks for the post.

#10 ·
I have a Smith & Wesson 223.....while on our four wheeler, carrying the gun on my back, we got to camp and saw that the bolt was completely missing. Is this something you all think I can go to HOWA with and ask them to replace it? I am 35 now, and this happened while on a trip with my dad at age 15. My dad gave me the gun a few years ago and I wanted to see if I could replace it through a parts store, but then I saw this post. It was our one and only daughter/father trip and I have very fond memories of it...especially me losing the bolt out of his gun!:) THANKS for keeping this thread open!!

#11 ·
This post is over 8 years old, but you never know, you might have a rilfe that slipped throught the cracks. But I checked mine and the SN is B101XXX. the only Bs here are B000001thru B028450. My SN is higher than that. Judging by the looks of my rifle, it looks pretty new and was probably made in the late 90s to the mid 2000s when I bought it as a 22-250. However I bought it in a pawn shop and now it's rebarreld to a .250 Savage.

#14 ·
Weatherby also has a recall on certain Vanguard model manufactured during the same time frame (1970-1993).
Weatherby, Inc. of Paso Robles, California, is performing a safety upgrade on all Vanguard® by Weatherby brand rifles manufactured between the years 1970 to 1993.

The affected rifles bear serial numbers from one of the following series on the receiver: 00001 through 03810; V00001 through V80966; VX00001 through VX44065; VS00001 through VS23699; VL00001 through VL46984; W0001 through W0099; NV0001 through NV0099. The safety upgrade will replace the bolt sleeve to prevent misassembly of the bolt, which might occur on the affected rifles. Such misassembly might result into a hazardous condition in which the rifle can be accidentally discharged without the bolt being fully engaged, causing severe injury.

I found out this week on the Weatherby web-site and typed in all of my Weatherby rifle serial #'s. It turned out that I have 2 rifles affected by this recall. Weatherby is sending be a pre-paid mailing kit to send them the bolts of my 2 rifles effected by this.
I was just out sighting in my son's 30-06 Weatherby this past weekend. It functioned flawlessly. I contacted him immediately after reading this and told him for safety's sake not to use the rifle until we can get the bolt worked on by the factory. I've had 2 of my Weatherby's for over 30 years now and have killed deer, elk and other game with them. You never know though.

#19 ·
Howa recall

I see this is a REALLY old post but have never heard about the recall before. I have an action that fits the S No range. It was acquired from a deceased estate as a .243 that was badly rusted in the bore. I have tried the "address" shown above but does not work. Does any-one know any thing more?
Alan

#20 ·
While the address may not work, the phone number might.

Howa rifles have been sold under various names, Weatherby, Smith & Wesson, Mossberg etc.. Contacting them, or the importer may be of help.

Here in the states LSI (Legacy Sports International) is the importer, they may be able to direct you to the correct place. Weatherby sells a fair number of the rifles under the Vanguard label, they still have the notice on their site and may also be of help.

#23 ·
Not too late yet!

I purchased a used 270 Mosseberg by Howa on the grounds of appearance and price over two years ago. This morning I took it out of the locker thinking I just might take it and shoot it...my first time and by looking at the rifle I'd say the guns first time.

That little guy standing on my shoulder whispered and I ended up on the Internet. Soon I was on the phone with Howa and now I'm awaiting the BOLT UPGRADE KIT which the gentleman said will be sent today. So I'll wait a bit longer before I fire this rifle. My bolt will be sent out, firing pin replace, or whatever and I'll get back, I think.

One thing is for sure. This ole Michigan farm boy didn't blow his face off November 26, 2014 with a rifle made in 1987 that was just waiting for the chance.

Time heals some things...not engineering design flaws machined in steel. By the way, we are still recovering live bombs plunked out in the Gulf of Mexico during WWII. Just because something hasn't killed you doesn't mean it never will...and some THING is surely going to kill you. That's when it's too late.

#25 ·
"Does any-one know any thing more?"

Alan, I cover this in my book. Look for two milled flats on the bottom of the bolt sleeve. The faulty sleeves were ROUND instead of eccentric so the shroud would become displaced 90 degrees counter-clockwise. That puts the cocking piece stud facing right instead of down into the tang. The safety lever acts as a sear and the bolt was closed on a live round.....then the cocking piece slipped off the safety lever. Major damage to the right hand and arm but his eyes were shielded by the scope.

#26 ·
Never too late

I just came upon this thread and found out about this recall. I have a very early S&W 1500 .30-06, serial number starting with PN xxxxx. I have shot this rifle countless times at targets and big game over the last 38 years . Very dependable and accurate. I guess what you don't know can't hurt you, or is it - God watches out for fools ? ,,,,,,no matter , I just ordered a new bolt for that old rifle and will still be looking to send the old bolt in for updating. so, to answer the statement of many " this is an old post " this post may be old to some, but to me it is new and very appreciated. Thank you all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.