Shooters Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changed My Mind On The Howdah. Brought It Back To Cabelas In Maine. I Looked At The Cattleman Carbine And Felt It Would Be More Fun. Picked Out A Brand New One , The Price Was $499. Put It In My Shopping Cart And Went To The Bargain Cave To Look Around. Lo And Behold What's In One Of The Cases ---oh Yea Cattleman Carbine Marked $387.00
Easy Choice. Got All The Stuff To Shoot It, Maybe Sunday, It's Supposed To Warm Up.
I Want To Get A Conversion Cylinder To Shoot 45 Colt. I Saw A Kirst Conversion For $270.00 Brownells Was About The Same. Does Anyone Know Who Has Them More Reasonable Or Maybe Someone Has A Used One They Want To Sell.
Largeman

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
If a cartridge gun is what you want, Uberti does build them factory chambered for .357 mag and .45 Colt. They are priced a bit higher than the percussion models but probably a good bit less than a percussion plus a conversion cylinder.
I don't know if the percussion carbine uses the same rifling specs as the handgun but if so the twist is a bit slow for stabilizing a long conical bullet since they were intended for roundballs. With the .45 Colt conversion on my 1860 Colt I get best accuracy with bullets no longer than a 200 grain flat point, 185's and roundballs are even better, the 250's are all over the paper at 25 yards.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts