21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Scored On A 20 Gauge Howdah Pistol At Cabelas In Connecticut. $462.00
I Want To Shoot Round Balls. Does Anyone Know What Caliber Round Ball I
Should Use?

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
20 gauge is a .62 caliber. I used to own a .62 caliber smoothbore and loaded a 20 gauge shotcup and then bird shot and then an over the shot card. When I shot roundball out of it I shot .600 or .610 when I could find them. Accuracy was good to 40 steps. With a pistol I would get real close. Other then that I am not sure what yours would take. There must be a manual with it you would think.

·
Banned
126 Posts
20 gauge is a .62 caliber. I used to own a .62 caliber smoothbore and loaded a 20 gauge shotcup and then bird shot and then an over the shot card. When I shot roundball out of it I shot .600 or .610 when I could find them. Accuracy was good to 40 steps. With a pistol I would get real close. Other then that I am not sure what yours would take. There must be a manual with it you would think.
Ditto. I would purchase a small amount of .600 and .610 balls and see which work best with a .018 pillow ticking patch.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
howdah

Go with the .600 if you are going to use 0.018 patches. The smoothbore has no rifling and thus no grooves for the large patch to compress into. A .610 lead ball would be VERY hard to load at .646 total diameter. The .600 will be hard enough.
I use .600 in mine and 0.010 patches to bring it to bore size. It works fine. I use the same load in my 20 ga. Fowler and it will shoot hand sized groups at 50 yards.
Remember - the Howdah was never intended as anything but a very short range weapon; y'know, from here to the tiger crawling up the back of the elephant that you are riding.
Pete

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
I used to pump powder, put an over the powder card, then the .610 ball with no patch, then an over the shot card and shoot my smooth bore that way.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Particularly interesting to me were the slo-mo shots at 3:50 and 4:20(?) that clearly show that the charge is well clear of the gun before recoil has had any visible effect.
Really would like to have seen some buckshot patterns at 5 yards.
Pete

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree, Pete. I think the Howdah pistol loaded with #6 or #4 shot would make a great home defense weapon, if you didn't burn your house down from that muzzle blast!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I agree, Pete. I think the Howdah pistol loaded with #6 or #4 shot would make a great home defense weapon, if you didn't burn your house down from that muzzle blast!
Only if you want a really pissed-off intruder. A fellow once sent me an old original English .54 smoothbore pistol to jug choke for shot. I tested it at 15 yards by firing on an old Goex powder can. Hit it with 8 or 10 number 6 nickle plated shot but not one pellet penetrated the front side of the can. I often use those steel Goex cans to test penetration of birdshot loads and I'd not hunt small game with a load that won't penetrate both sides.
That gun had a 10" barrel and the load was 40 grains of 3f Goex, 28 gauge wads and 3/4 ounce of nickle plated sixes. Recoil was such that I feared any heavier load might break the stock. It was a nice pattern but I'd not shoot anything larger than a sparrow with it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A 54 caliber ball will go in a 20 guage shot cup, nice snug fit. I don't know how well that will fit a Howdah but I drillout a CVA 45 cal. Colonial pistol because the barrell rusted so bad from hanging on the wall ( for about 10 years) so I drilled it out to fit a 20 guage wad. I use the 54 cal. RB with a 20 guage 7/8oz shot cup over about 30gr. of FFG BP with a wad of news print over that. It will shoot to center of body on a man size target at 50 ft.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts