Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use 13gr with a 260gr cast bullet with a cci magnum primer. I use the mag primer because one manual that I looked at used mag primers with this powder and I've always read that spherical powders worked better with a mag primer. However, all other manuals that I have seen use a std primer. I was wondering if any of you use std primers and what kind of results you get. I get 1025 fps from a 4 5/8 ruger blackhawk with excellent accuracy. Extreme spread is low, I can't recall exactly right now. Do you think a std primer may improve/hurt accuracy and velocity?
Thanks,
BC

·
Registered
416 Posts
I use an awful lot of HS6, it being my favorite all 'round powder. It is somewhat hard to ignite. In the .45 Colt, I've gotten great results with the Winchester Large Pistol Standard/Magnum primer, BUT - you seem to have a pretty good load there - not worth tinkering with, in my opinion.

DC

·
"Bad Joke Friday" Dan (moderator emeritus)
7,764 Posts
I'm a combination of you both in that I've found 13.0 grs. of HS6 to be the most accurate 45LC load for my 4 5/8" barrel Ruger, but use the WLP primer with excellent results. While I don't have experimental evidence, I wouldn't expect the CCI std. primer to cause any performance problems. For a number of years, I used CCI mag primers in every thing I shot, from 4.0 grs. of Bullseye to max. H110 loads and never recognized any problems, but have switched to the WLP which is reported to cover both bases, std and mag., very well and appear to be a little softer than the CCI mag. I use Federal 150 primers with my S&W revovlers that have had lighter springs installed and had misfires with both WLP and CCI, the 150 Federals are apparently a little easier to ignite.

Dan

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I will stay with whats working. I will try the Winchester primers though. It would be easier to just use one primer for everything.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts