Shooters Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject heading has been idle too long. My moose hunting was successful, and now I'm looking forward to my trip to the area around the western end of the Golden Rd. (Dole Pond, Norris Brook, MacDonald Brook) for the 3rd week of November in pursuit of the biggest buck I can find. I've had a few sessions w/ my 45-70 guide gun and plan a couple more before I get hunting. Aftermarket additions include: FP receiver sight w/ the guts removed; fiber optic front sight; Wild West "Bear Proof" ejector; Wild West trigger ( 2 lbs. 8 oz.); Pachmayr Decelerator recoil pad; and a Dave Clay medium loop lever. The lever has to be slightly modified if your 1895 G has or will have a WW trigger. Sounds like one of those darned product pushing "hunting" articles, doesn't it. Anybody else got any hunting planned up this way? If so, have fun.

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
Hello Mainer;

I'm heading to Vermont Nov.16th for deer/black bear. My dad and I hunt the land around Bristol at a friend's 580acre property.

I'll be bring two rifles this year, since I can't deceide...

My Win. Trapper in .45colt
My Win. Timber Carbine in .444

It'll most likely end up as the .444 - Pure stock rifle, not quite as fancy as yourn...

Funny, my parents live in down-east Maine, but my father doesn't hunt the state....:confused:

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
m141a - Funny thing, there's a bunch of fellas that stay at the same lodge I do who come over from Bristol, Vt. Good, hard, dedicated hunters. I like the sound of your rifle selection - particularly the .444. If your dad lives way downeast (Washington County), I can see why he goes elsewhere to hunt. The deer herd down there has been in big decline for a long time now. Good luck

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,466 Posts
He's in Cape Eliz....

Scarboro and the other burgs seem to be Bow only, so he goes to VT. Says bows are too much "work"... I tend to agree!:D
The old .444 should knock down efficiently anthing in my way up there, Including myself if I don't brace from the recoil of that short barrelled .444:p

She handles nice, but kicks like a mule!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Mainer - Congrats on the moose, I see more moose than deer where I hunt. I'll be hunting up in the Houlton/Island Falls areas the 2nd and 3rd week this year. I'll also be using my Dave Clay modified 1895G 45-70. Let me tell you, that Texas boy knows his way around a lever gun!! I had him do almost everything to my Marlin except the take-down feature. With the AO Express sights, the Leupold scout scope in Warne QD rings and AO Scout mount this has got to be the slickest rifle I've ever taken to Maine. What he does to the action and trigger is just fantastic! The trigger is better than half of my bolt guns! Now this is starting to sound like a commercial! I'm glad you got your moose, that's one less I'll have to trip over in the swamp. :) Hope you get a big deer! They're few and far between but when you connect it's something else! Good Hunting!! CEJ..

·
Registered
282 Posts
MAINER,

Did you get a chance to try out a backpack on that Moose? I just used mine on a average sized deer.
Just wondering...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joel - Didn't have to use a backpack. Two of the bulls were within distance of the winch on the truck. The 3rd one was 2 miles from the truck on a pretty well cleared path. There were 5 of us. We used 4 of the deer carriers from Cabelas, and the 73 year young lady that shot the moose carried out the 2 rifles. She had missed a good chance at a trophy the day before, and settled on this 36 incher. If she'd shot the big one, and cared about the cape, it would have taken one more carrier, or one trip back to the kill. However, we left the skin , except for the head itself, in the woods w/ various other parts. That would have been illegal in Maine up to 3 years ago - but the moose are becoming increasingly road shy, so they had to change the law. We had 2 Magnum carriers, and 2 of the smaller 99 dollar ones. The big ones hold more, and are also much easier to move due to bigger dia. wheels, and better balance. The big ones easily handled one fore shoulder nested in one rib cage, along with the head/rack, and a couple of game bags with boned meat and heart, etc. I'm guessing that 4 big carriers and one pack would get one out when the head and cape are part of the deal. We haven't yet graduated to skinning the head and "beak" yet. I guess that would lighten things up also. See ya

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
CEJ1895 - Good luck on your hunt.

Joel - I thought I'd posted an answer, but it doesn't show up. We didn't use packs, because we had 4 Cabelas Deer Carriers which moved the parts rather easily over 2 miles on a well cleared path. The "Magnum" carriers are the best, as they hold more, are better balanced, and bigger dia. wheels. Congratulations on your deer.

Sorry about the repeat, I guess my 1st reply showed up afterall.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Those carriers sound nice. I shot my buck on an extremely steep face. Elevation was at 6500'. We had to pack down, then back to the truck on an old washed out road 2 miles away. Great hunt though. Head out for Elk this Saturday. I'll be back up in the same area. Spotted lot's of Elk, so hopefully I'll be able to connect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts