1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What boots you wearin'

I might get another pair of Danner pronghorns.... on sale

Yeah , they leak water like a sieve hiking through wet grass, alfalfa etc

I got a pair of redwing irish setter wingshooters , nice boot , but real, heavy weight.

I like Danner pronghorns and sharptails because are light weight and I like the way they feel.

·
Registered
4,197 Posts
I just put about 5 miles on my Redwing 914’s today.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Redwing 914- 4.325 lbs,

Those are heavy boots

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
10,897 Posts
Whites smoke jumpers

O have an old pair of Danner antelope guide boots that are really good, dry, light weight and comfy.

RJ

Reactions: Darkker

·
Registered
2,807 Posts
I put 4 miles on my Danner Patrols today. They’re generally what I wear if I draw a hunt that’s late enough to see heavy dew or precipitation. If I draw an earlier hunt I may use a non-Gore-Tex boot instead. The Patrols are not a tall boot, and they’re not insulated. If I ever draw a hunt that looks like it’ll be COLD for, I suppose I’ll go look for cold-weather boots. (-:

·
Registered
958 Posts
My Danner boots are old enough to vote now. 200 gr insulated and don't know what model. I only wear them to hunt in so that's why they have lasted so long. This past week while down in S. Colorado my hooves did get a little chilly with them.
I had a pair of Rocky's that were light weight and Gore tex lined before these.

·
The Shadow
7,660 Posts
JK Boots Fire Inlander

·
Registered
7,818 Posts
For lightweight boots, I love my Salomons. Well made, very comfortable. I switch to Lacrosse rubber bottom, leather upper for colder weather. And finally, when only sitting in cold weather, heavily insulated Browning rubber boots.

I have a lightweight pair of Danners, uninsulated, very nice, but I prefer the Salomons
IMG_20201116_160516638.jpg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Red Wing Irish Setter snake boots. They’re heavy, and hot in warm weather, but comfortable to walk in and they’ve held up well.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What boots you wearin'

I might get another pair of Danner pronghorns.... on sale

Yeah , they leak water like a sieve hiking through wet grass, alfalfa etc

I got a pair of redwing irish setter wingshooters , nice boot , but real, heavy weight.

I like Danner pronghorns and sharptails because are light weight and I like the way they feel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am not an expert on boot's. I just hunt in about four states. Been in some of the worst weather there is. I used Danners for year's. Good boot's. Until recently, I had never heard of Kenetrek boot's. My grandson bought me a pair. I would never have spent that kind of money. They are a great boot. Fit out of the box like a glove. Alway's dry.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a pair of Kenetreks and a pair of Danners. The Kenetreks are built like tanks. But they almost weigh as much too. Love my Danners @ 1/2 the price and 1/3 the weight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Uninsulated Zamberlan GTX boots for most of the year, La Sportiva Nepal Evo GTX when it gets chilly or light ice/mountaineering ... need to find something a bit warmer for static sits as the Nepal's don't quite cut it when not moving around. (Sitting for a couple hours in a snowy 10F last week was a bit rough.) Probably go for a non-plastic double-boot if it's that cold so multi-day trips are better, maybe something like the Arc'teryx Acrux. Doubles rock for multi-day outings when it's stupid cold out.

Boots pull double-duty for SAR work; boots are just about the most important part of my kit, because without good boots and mobility all the rest of my gear is useless.

Had Danners ... didn't fit super well, didn't last. Haven't looked back. I know they're a staple and if they work great for you, go for it! Kenetreks and Crispi are both on my short list of boots to try as well since GTX isn't needed year-round (solid shank is pure win, though, for me. Saves my ankles and knees while sidehilling or kicking steps in steep duff.)

Cheers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hunting in Fla., waterproof knee-high snake boots rule the roost. I wear Danner snake boots, I’d have to go get them to remember the name, but ballistic nylon foot and uppers. They are very light weight, lighter than the New Balance sneakers I wear by half! On my 4 th year this year, never had ‘the ultimate test’ of getting hit by a snake, but a member of our hunt club had his Alpha Burleys fail the test last week. ( He got a minimal dose from a water Moccassin, and will be OK. ) The Danners have been bone-dry so far. As soon as I got them I removed the laces and opened up the folds in the uppers and tongue and hit them with 2 coats of silicone waterproofing spray. I do a lot of swamp walking, and these have worked great. I got them thru MidwayUSA, good price.

·
Registered
824 Posts
My boots are regular Croc's, I wear them year round, I have too much nerve damage in my feet to wear anything else! When I get to my hunting shack if it is really cold I will slip on a pair of cheap pack boots although I can't walk more than a few steps in them!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts