Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone here influenced to any degree by endorsements from "world reknowned" (aka TV) hunters? It seems there are just a few of these guys but they have so many endorsements it's ridiculous. Personally, it irritates me to the point of steering away from anything they endorse. I mean, come on, endorsements might work for women and make-up but do they really think I'm going to buy a gun 'cuz Joe Paidtohunt tells me too? It just seems be one more thing that takes hunting from the level of beautiful and natural experience and turns it into a cheap consumer based activity...and turns me right off.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Very few things escape modern advertising, especially when there is money to be made. I take it all with a grain of salt, but when a hunter is also a celebrity, I don't blame him in any way for endorsing a product. The majority of the "professional" hunters (outside of Africa) are just regular guys who have worked hard, and hunted even harder, to get where they are in the outdoor world. I'm not going to begrudge Boddington, Shockey or Chuck Adams their chance to make a few dollars promoting products they use and/(or?) believe in.

Now, I'm not a big fan of the whole "Bone Collector" line of ads and products and find Waddell pretty annoying, overall. Like anything else, I research what I buy...I don't just take the word of someone else before plunking down my hard-earned cash.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
I don't begrudge those guys making money off endorsements, either- but none of the money they make will come from me.

·
Premium Member
7,606 Posts
Most of what I have now and will continue to use for many, many years was purchased before TV celebrity endorsements ever happened. I like watching the hunting shows, but have already decided what works best for me, with the help of friends that have tried different products. That, and multiple hunting magazines that bring new products to the forefront for consideration. By analogy, I sure won't be buying $200 basketball shoes just because Michael Jordan gave a plug for them!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Can you picture a camo hunting jacket covered with endorsement decals like something from NASCAR?

Maybe that's where it is heading. Maybe it will be for making a statement at home and on the job, but not for the field.:D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Guys can earn a living anyway they want but when "advertising" becomes their primary purpose it turns me off. Take Shockey for example; I'm sick of seeing him with that danged TC logo in every magazine I read, the butstock of his rifle always turned to show the HUGE TC logo sticker in full glory.

Nothing against TC firearms themselves but, yes, their constant advertising with Shockey, has influenced me greatly- I will not buy any TC arm and I can't stand Shockey.

Probably not their marketing departments intended outcome but they did, at least, influence me.

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Guys can earn a living anyway they want but when "advertising" becomes their primary purpose it turns me off. Take Shockey for example; I'm sick of seeing him with that danged TC logo in every magazine I read, the butstock of his rifle always turned to show the HUGE TC logo sticker in full glory.

Nothing against TC firearms themselves but, yes, their constant advertising with Shockey, has influenced me greatly- I will not buy any TC arm and I can't stand Shockey.

Probably not their marketing departments intended outcome but they did, at least, influence me.
Tell us how you really feel!
Have you noticed that Winchester now puts that big long decal on their barrel. I hate to see all of this happen to the hunting industry.
Maybe we ought to turn the tube off and all go hunting.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,699 Posts
Hey, Tom, do you think that one of these shows is going to put decals on the critters next???? :p

I can just see some poor soul tasked with catching some wild pigs, branding them, and letting them go to be shot on camera :rolleyes:

If the roads aren't icy, I'm going to try to shoot some non-branded pigs this weekend :D

·
Premium Member
2,773 Posts
Yep, weather is terrible up here now, maybe this week-end will be good.
As fas as the animals, heck, they've already branded the bucks by the feed they are fed. Tecomate bucks, Real Tree Plot Master Bucks, etc...

Too many hunting shows, let's see, go hunting or help wife with yard...?
Easy decision-

·
Registered
222 Posts
I did see several Remington commercials with Brett Favre, and no, they didn't influence me one bit. I think most of us are probably unaffected by endorsements because when it comes to hunting we all try to find a product that works for each of us. this usually means some degree of research before buying a product. but, I do think some of these endorsements work for the average joe who doesn't want to think about what his next purchase is gonna be. some people will likely buy hunting product based on price alone, while most of us want to know what it is that we're buying and are willing to spend that extra $500 for a firearm that will last us a lifetime. I view hunting the same way I view the car industry - just because your brand has been around for awhile doesn't mean you're making quality product. edorsements can be good and bad imo. it can be good in that it could potentially attract new people to hunting, or it could be bad and turn people off.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Another example of advertising gone awry is the commercial with Brock Lesnar, the former WWE "wrestler" and current MMA fighter. Apparently he is a dyed-in-the-wool sportsman from Minnesota, which I am glad to see. His promotion of the Federal Fusion ammo tries to draw parallels between MMA fighting and the effectiveness of their ammo, I guess. If I was ever in the market for factory ammo, the rather tasteless commercial, which shows him beating up a tire, sure wouldn't have me running out to by Fusion loads.

Still, it wouldn't prevent me from using them, either. If they were accurate and the terminal performance was good, I would use them because they're effective. I guess what I'm saying is advertisers are wasting their money on me because I'm not going to base my decision, one way or the other, on what some celebrity or hunting "pro" says. For the guys who refuse to buy a certain brand of gun or camo just because so-n'-so hawks it shamelessly, that simply proves celebrity advertising DOES work! For every guy who is turned off by it, there will be others who buy a T/C just because Shockey says you should. Neither response is particularly well thought out. ;)

·
Registered
222 Posts
For the guys who refuse to buy a certain brand of gun or camo just because so-n'-so hawks it shamelessly, that simply proves celebrity advertising DOES work! For every guy who is turned off by it, there will be others who buy a T/C just because Shockey says you should. Neither response is particularly well thought out. ;)
it's interesting to me that the firearm/hunting industry doesn't seem to do too many endorsements (from what I can tell), especially in this day and age when product placement is so prevalent. I mean, I don't see many people out and about sporting t-shirts by their favorite gun brands, like Winchester, Browning or Remington. guess most people don't want to attract that sort of attention to themselves unless you're at the shooting range

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
it's interesting to me that the firearm/hunting industry doesn't seem to do too many endorsements (from what I can tell), especially in this day and age when product placement is so prevalent. I mean, I don't see many people out and about sporting t-shirts by their favorite gun brands, like Winchester, Browning or Remington. guess most people don't want to attract that sort of attention to themselves unless you're at the shooting range
Thumb through a recent Gander Mountain catalog and you might be surprised at the number of non-hunting items that are branded with manufacturers names and logos.

I wear my Accubond hat just about anywhere and couldn't care less if it attracts attention. My little girl has a long-sleeved camo sweatshirt she wears to her 4th grade class once or twice a month and she doesn't catch any grief over it. Regardless of whether it is being promoted by some hunting "celebrity" or not, I think we should all feel free to show our true colors wherever and whenever we choose. :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
I really like Michael Wadell and enjoy his videos, but I refuse to buy ANYTHING that says Bone Collector. there must be 8, 358 different things with Bone Collector on them, and most have nothig to do with hunting.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
I really like Michael Wadell and enjoy his videos, but I refuse to buy ANYTHING that says Bone Collector. there must be 8, 358 different things with Bone Collector on them, and most have nothig to do with hunting.

Yeah, I think they'd put a Bone Collector logo on an anti-hunting banner, if they agreed to pay the royalty fee. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
605 Posts
The only hunter / celeb that ever influenced my buying habits was Ted Nugent. When I lived in Jackson, Michigan he had a place outside of town, as well as his own Archery Shop right on Main St. in beautiful downtown Jackson. I first started going into his shop just to rub elbows with a celeb but the man ... and his products ... made sence. It was the ones that "made sense" that I bought. He was a hoot! Too bad he moved to Texas.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I got so sick of all this junk that I stopped watching hunting shows long ago. Furthermore, I don't buy anything because some celeb says it's great. It dumbfounds me that so many people think just because a person is famous it makes them an expert at something completely unrelated to what they do for a living. Unlike a lot of other people in America I still like to think for myself.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have never purchased ANYTHING because of a celebrity endorsement. I`ll watch a show or video when trapped in the house out of boredom. There is one show and videos that I like and would buy products they promote because they are my heroes (anybody that can have that much fun and make money doin it is my hero). Outdoors with T.K. & Mike or is it Mike & T.K., even though Mike is by himself now it`s still fun to watch. Everybody needs a good laugh now and then, and they have given me a lot. Should be a good day, nice`n overcast!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The only hunting show I ever really enjoyed was a guy who always used a side-by-side and hunted with an English setter. Can't even remember the name of the show...but it was quality. Not about the # of birds killed or even seen...it was about enjoying the day for what it gave...and watching the dog work. And there was no hawking of any crap either. Guy always wore a big wide brimmed cap and had a large red/brown mustache. Great guy and a great show. Wish I could remember the name. I think it was something like "Hunting with Jake" or whatever the dog's name was.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Someone must be buying things based on the TV experts. Why else would we have cartridges being developed we don't need, or anything else that is redundent. If you were to hunt with the TV gear, you better be shooting the latest Wizbang magnum with superduper ammo, and only shoot at stationary broadside deer while they pose for you.

The products they push do more to ruin hunting and do little to promote woodsmanship and skill. I get so mad at some of the junk they push, I get so I hardly watch the shows anymore.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts