Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm pushing a 158 grain lswc to an average of 1,384 fps out of my 686's four inch barrel.  The load is the previously mentioned bullet atop 15.0 grains of 2400. The deer in my area average 150-180 pounds.  If the distance is kept reasonable shouldn't this load be sufficient?

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,449 Posts
I would have to think so, if the bullet is up to the job.  Personally I prefer the wider nose of the LBT-style bullets.  Velocity isn't so important in my opinion, if hard cast the bullet should easily zip right through both shoulders.  If it's soft (ie soft enough to easily scratch with your fingernail), then potential problems.

I say go for it... make sure of your shot and try to bust both shoulders.

·
Registered
31 Posts
it will be sufficient. but as Mike G pointed out you would be better off with a hard cast bullet.  Maybe even one that is a bit heavier if you can get them (or mould them)

Just remember that it is limited so dont try to shoot past it's effective range.

·
Beartooth Regular
1,116 Posts
Three replys, three points of agreement. The 158-grain weight will be enough for your whitetails, but be absolutely certain the bullet is cast hard. As Mike said, if it scratches with a fingernail pass on it for anything but small game and paper punching. Your deer sound like pretty good-sized animals, so maximum penetration will be needed. The .357 is a great cartridge and will do the job for you, but only if the components are up to it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I appreciate yalls replys.  I did the "fingernail" test and the bullet passed with flying colors.  My brother will be the one using this load.  We figure inside thirty yards and wait for a broadside shot and he ought to get his deer. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate yalls replys.  I did the "fingernail" test and the bullet passed with flying colors.  My brother will be the one using this load.  We figure inside thirty yards and wait for a broadside shot and he ought to get his deer. Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts