Shooters Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got into college in Maine and I will be headed over that way in August.

I was wondering where I could find info on hunting in Maine. It will be different than all the hunting I do here in Montana. Thats okay I am up for a challenge. I already hunt mule and whitetail deer, elk, antelope, turkeys, other upland game birds and federal and state migratory waterfowl.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Matt - Try www.mefishwildlife.com Where are you going to college? The central and southern areas are by far the best for deer. There's a big change once you get into the more remote areas in the northern and northwestern parts of Maine. Not to say that these areas aren't good places to hunt ( I prefer the remote), but they definitly demand a different style on deer, and a lot of patience. The bull moose will really impress you. Contact me by e, if you like. P.S. Bring a couple of compasses!

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to Unity College in Unity Maine. When I get done I hope to be a Wildlife Biologist. Thanks for the info, but I don't know if I will be hunting for the first year because it is outrageously expensive for nonresidents to hunt, and I am paying for all of my college it would be difficult. I usually hunt with muzzleloaders so hard hunting is pretty common for me.

·
Registered
238 Posts
mattsbox99 - I believe that college students residing in the state of Maine can purchase a hunting license as a resident. Check the link that Mainer gave you it should tell you for sure. I'm sure I just read about that in the last issue of the Maine Sportsman or the Northwoods Hunting Journal but I'm at work now and can't check the papers. CEJ..

·
Registered
471 Posts
Most states require 1 year residency. before you can acquire a resident license, Plus a hunting saftey certifacate, In NH if your not grandfathered in, you need courses in hunter saftey for Rifle & Bow in order to hunt NH, check with your F&G... Aim small hit small. RAMbo.

·
Registered
513 Posts
matt - Unity is smack dab in the middle of the best Wildlife Management Unit in the state for deer. Drive carefully! Excellent Spring turkey area, too.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually teach Hunter Safety classes here in Montana. I think that hunting in Maine woulkd be quite fun because it is completely different than here. I shot my first deer at 425 yards with a .25-06 that I had to aim about two feet high. I doubt that I will ever get a shot like that in Maine or anywhere on the East coast. I hope to get more of a chance when I live there becasue I am quite wary of buying tags online and then not having a place to hunt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts