Shooters Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,592 Posts
Welcome, and thanks for the safety reminder. I'm sure a lot of folks on the forum enjoy fishing......

·
Registered
305 Posts
I sometimes hunt from a riverboat. Like most up here, I hunt very shallow streams from a jet boat. Soending time getting off sandbars is half the "fun". LOL
Some of our rivers are glacier fed and are thus very silty. When When you hit a sandbar in one of these, it pays to be wary. Keep your life jacket on and, while holding on to the boat, walk around it. Over the years several people have lost their lives by stepping into holes you can't see through the silt.
They are swept away in a heartbeat, and if not VERY good swimmers soon succumb to the icy water.
Don't be macho, wear your life jacket, and search for these drop offs.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,223 Posts
Thanks for the reminder as we often duck hunt off of sandbars on rivers. I have stepped off in a deep hole while wearing chestwaders before. I am alive because my partner grabbed my gun barrel as I went under and pulled me up. I don't know if he was trying to save me or the shotgun.

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
I read this and many incidents came to mind where the terra ferma I stepped on, or saw someone else step on, was not so ferma!:eek: If you aren't familiar with where you are it is wise to test the ground, such as with a staff or stick. Not just river sand bars but tidal marshes, inlets and even beaches can have hidden dangers.:confused:
I once saw a beach walker step into an area along an inlet and sink down to her waist before we got to her, thanks to some young men nearby with surf boards. During the next high tide, the area was washed out and part of the channel.
Along the SC coast there are hundreds of acres of abandoned rice fields that can be hunted (duck) by the public but these old fields have had decades of decaying organic matter building on them and the bottoms are usually several feet deep with what we call Pluff Mud. It can suck you down and hold you like a giant bear trap.:eek: No fun.:eek: Another reason not to venture out alone.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Here in north Florida and south Georgia we have many rivers with sandbars, the Suwannee, the St Marys, the Withlacoochee, lots of others. I have spent many an hour on these sand bars and never seen one undercut by the current. Funny how different geology gives different results. I have gone up to my thighs in muck. A fellow nearly drowned and or died of hypothermia. His mother's dock washed away and he took a boat to tow it back. When he stepped off the boat to fasten the rope he went chest deep in muck. Fire Rescue was called and the tide came in. By the time they freed him they were preparing to put him on SCUBA to keep him from drowning.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the great info on these dangers.

This fella sent a scary scenario but all of yours are just as dangerous.
My wife and I decided to take a walk out on a sandbar in the Miss. River

at Shelby Forest old river ramp one day. The sandbar went almost out to

the main channel. We had walked out and the down the river a ways when

we decided to head back.We walked straight back to the river bank from

where we were when we heard the sound of water rushing by!I slowly

approached what I heard and out of no where a gushing , fast moving

stream of water was coming out from under the sand going about 20 feet

and disapeared back under the sand. It was a very scary site to see.THERE

IS MOVING WATER UNDER THOSE SANDBARS AND THEY CAN CAVE AT

ANYTIME AND TAKE YOU WITH THEM!!I have not been back out on a

sandbar since. We walked back out away from the flow of water and back

pretty much the way we came before trying to walk up the river bank. That

rushing water was right at the rivers bank, not way out near the edge of

the sandbar!! SANDBARS ARE DANGEROUS FOR SURE!!!

·
Registered
472 Posts
This fella sent a scary scenario but all of yours are just as dangerous.
My wife and I decided to take a walk out on a sandbar in the Miss. River

at Shelby Forest old river ramp one day. The sandbar went almost out to

the main channel. We had walked out and the down the river a ways when

we decided to head back.We walked straight back to the river bank from

where we were when we heard the sound of water rushing by!I slowly

approached what I heard and out of no where a gushing , fast moving

stream of water was coming out from under the sand going about 20 feet

and disapeared back under the sand. It was a very scary site to see.THERE

IS MOVING WATER UNDER THOSE SANDBARS AND THEY CAN CAVE AT

ANYTIME AND TAKE YOU WITH THEM!!I have not been back out on a

sandbar since. We walked back out away from the flow of water and back

pretty much the way we came before trying to walk up the river bank. That

rushing water was right at the rivers bank, not way out near the edge of

the sandbar!! SANDBARS ARE DANGEROUS FOR SURE!!!
YEP I was born and raised in Memphis and have always wanted to duck/goose hunt on sandbars on the MS but I just can't bring myself to do it because I KNOW of the danger of those "here today, gone in 2 minutes" sandbars. I doubt I'll EVER try it, even as much as I enjoy reading Nash Buckingham's exploits on the Big Muddy, I just have seen to many MULTI-ACRE SIZED SANDBARS just instantly let go and disappear in the big river. :eek:

Even with a lifejacket or floatcoat I doubt you would stand much chance of a surviving being swept out in the MS unless you were lucky and back in a chute, runout or slough or something. But if you are in the main channel or river proper, as they say in New York... FUGGITABOUTIT!!! :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts