Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day,

My new .35 Remington arrived yesterday. Thanks to Ranch Dog, I had some brass and was able to load up some rounds for it.

All I had on hand were some cast 158gr .357 Magnum semi wadcutters with gas checks. I loaded them up at about 1900fps with the appropriate ADI powder. I was surprised that this rifle being a new marlin, had a micro groove barrel. Thought they went to all ballard cut. Anyway i've never had problems shooting lead with micro groove barrels anyway, although the groups with this load were pretty uninspiring.

Didn't get any leading but my firend did warn me that these projectiles wouldn't shoot worth a **** in his .357 maximum either, so I'm not overly worried.

Until I can get a mold made I want to run 200gn jacketed projectiles, I tried to buy some Sierra's but the importer hasn't got any. Corelokts don't seem to be available in this calibre out here, so I ended up ordering some 200gn Hornady inter-locks.

Anybody used these in the .35? I have run interlocks in other calibres and always got a lot of copper fouling, but they were pretty effective on the game. I won't get them for at least another week, so I'd be interested to hear if anyone has any experience with them? I'll be shooting pigs and brumbies, which are probably about the size of an elk or a bit bigger.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
Too bad you can't get Core-Lokts. That is THE jacketed bullet for the .35 Rem.

Going from memory, I think that the Hornadys have a reputation for being tougher. You may not get much expansion at range. However, if you file the tips flat, so that they look like a cast bullet, they should work either way.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Wrench Man, thank you SO MUCH for posting a link to this article! I read it some time back but hadn't been able to find it again. I have a 358GNR (445SM necked down to .358, to meet the 1-5/8" limitations in Indiana) and wanted to review my options. The article doesn't include the 200gr FTX by Hornady, but the 180gr SSSP and 200gr Core-lokt pills were what I had in mind for the new wildcat. This article goes into such great detail about which 35 caliber bullets work at certain velocities, and why!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I agree with Mike, the 200grn Remington Core-Lokt is FABULOUS! in the 35 Remington, just checking the zero on my 36A (with a ballard barrel) a week ago kneeling off the fender of my Jeep I shot a 1 1/8" group! with hand loads.

That article is some good stuff, and THANKS!!! to 35Remington for providing it!:cool:

·
Banned
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Too bad you can't get Core-Lokts. That is THE jacketed bullet for the .35 Rem.

Going from memory, I think that the Hornadys have a reputation for being tougher. You may not get much expansion at range. However, if you file the tips flat, so that they look like a cast bullet, they should work either way.

Good luck.

I was really disappointed that core-lokts weren't available too, because in other calibres that I've used them they have been outstanding performers and priced well too.

I may be able to get some Remington factory ammo loaded with the core-lokt (still waiting for my dealer to call the importer,) but it won't be cheap. Another bloke quoted me $330 per 100 but he has a big markup on them I suspect.

If the hornady is a harder projectile, it will probably suit my purposes very well. Hunting in thick scrub I like a round with good penetration for the occasional texas heart shot.:D

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,098 Posts
I thought later of putting the bullet base down on a hard surface, and gently tapping the nose flat. Too much though and they might not chamber!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts