Shooters Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a Marlin 1895 45-70 and after an afternoon of shooting I decided that I don't much care for the sights on it and am looking for a decent scope to put on it. I plan on using it mainly for deer hunting and looking for something with low magnification, possibly adjustable as long as a magnification of 2 or smaller is possible. any suggestions from anybody on what to go with? Something decent yet relatively cheap. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
Welcome to the forum!
I'm not about to point you to something "cheap" as an 1895 has a bit of recoil. I've owned 1895, 1895G, 1895M and .444P and scoped them all.

My suggestion is a Leupold shotgun/ muzzleloader 1-4×20 with Heavy Duplex reticle. You should be able to find one for right at 2 Benjamins.

Have a little more $$, look at a Hawke 30mm 1-4×24 with IR #4 ($300) or more $$ still, Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 with Firedot #4 ($400+). I own all of them and they are all quality scopes that will withstand the 1895G.

This is the Hawke 30mm 1-4 with illuminated #4 reticle on my BLR.450. It's traveling to Maine in 2 months for a bear hunt. And three of my shorties in .450, .444 and 45-70 with Leupolds on top. A VX-R 1.25-4x30mm is atop my double rifle in 9.3x74R.

Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks! And yeah I'm not really looking for a super cheap $60 scope or anything, just didn't want people saying I should get a Swarovski or Trijicon or anyhting super expensive like that. I'll check out your suggestions.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I have a Weaver V-3 on my Guide gun but when I move a few scopes around. I will mount an old Lyman 2x. A straight 2x will do fine for me out to 100 yards or more and I generally shoot the .444 Marlin and .45-70 inside 75 yards. I have had a 2x on my .444 Winchester for years with no desire for more power.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts

I used a cheap ($5.new) Simmons 2x20 "shotgun" (or "muzzleloader") scope for several years on my .45-70 rifles (a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun & A Ruger #1-S) w/o any issues.

The scopes are very light (7oz), and have a 7" eye-relief (a REAL plus) - like shooting through a peepsight that has some magnification.

I would suggest you look at this online vendor ( www.swfa.com ), as I've bought several different new scopes from them over the years, at low prices & with complete satisfaction.

·
Registered
868 Posts
My Henry sports a Leupold 1.75 x 5 and these optics can't be beat IMHO. For a little less dough, you can get what TNHunter recommends. Either will suit you fine and looks great on a lever action!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Well, I installed an XS rail on my Marlin GBL.This allows me to use the receiver sight and a scope.The scope is a Weaver 4x scout scope on detachable rings. It holds poi and I simply put this on the rifle if I need it

·
Banned
459 Posts
Is it a short barrel model or the longer barrel ? If it's the short one then teh lower power fo 1x is ok but if it's a long barrel you will see some of the end of the barrel at 1x . So If it was my gun and it had teh long barrel I would go 2 or 2.5 as the lowest power .

·
Registered
916 Posts
I've got a weaver pivot mount on mine with a leupold 3x mounted on it. Started off with a weaver 2x with a post until I got the deal on the 3x. With that pivot mount I can use the irons or the scope and haven't had a shift in POI from switching back and forth.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is it a short barrel model or the longer barrel ? If it's the short one then teh lower power fo 1x is ok but if it's a long barrel you will see some of the end of the barrel at 1x . So If it was my gun and it had teh long barrel I would go 2 or 2.5 as the lowest power .
Its got a 22" barrel. I'm gonna use it for shotgun season this year so I'll more than likely be shooting at running deer, more than likely not any further than 50 yards but possibly up to 75.

·
Registered
7,779 Posts
For a short range, moving target, the widest field of view is the best. I've found also that a very low power scope with a quality illuminated reticle can be used pretty much like a red dot sight, if mounted properly.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a Marlin Model 1895 in 45-70 Government.
I read about the sharp recoil before I ever fired it along with people's horror stories about the recoil. I don't think it kicks any more than a 12ga.
I would recommend a long eye relief low power scope.
I have a Nikon 1-4 power "Dangerous Game Scope" on mine with a German #4 reticle. The bottom post and the two horizontal posts are heavy and lead you to the crosshairs. I usually fire it at 2x. You do see a little of the barrel at 2x but it is not objectional. Point is, you can fire it with both eyes open.

I have since mounted this scope on two of my AR's.
I think they work better than a red dot scope. You have the 1x like a red dot but magnification up to 4x.
With a red dot you have to get a magnifier and by that time you have paid for a good Scope.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts