Shooters Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be spending the last week of November 2001 in a tree stand somewhere in the Pan Handle of Idaho.  In your experience, what types of clothing, boots, gloves, etc. would you use?  How about rain gear?  

A look at the callender shows a full moon on the week of my hunt.  I that a problem?  Do you have better luck on the dark nights of a full moon?

·
Super Moderator
3,375 Posts
Rick,

Winter generally comes in earnest by Thanksgiving here.  The days are generally in upper 20's and lows dipping into the single digits on a normal year.

Expect snow, amounts of course will vary depending upon where you will be hunting and the elevation levels.  Snow is usually powdery and pleasant to hunt in, not sloppy and wet like earlier in the season.

I assume you are hunting our regular firearms season for deer next year... I think that is all that is open, unless you are hunting in unit 4 or 7 where there is a muzzle-loading elk season.

For footgear I rely on my White's Boots Guide model with their high tops.  Gloves are soft leather, waterproofed and lined with either cotton or GI wool glove liners.  Wool Filson Mackinaw Cruiser for a coat, can't be beat up here to keep out the elements and remain comfortable throughout a whole range of temperatures.  Pants, make mine a pair of Malone wools, again the stealthy silence of wool, and the comfort and durability of best quality wool.

Unless you are hunting a clearcut, hunting ranges will be short, generally under 100 yards in all instances.  Deer will be in the last stages of the rut, and almost impossible to call or rattle that time of the season.   Weather will be a bigger factor than the phase of the moon. My very highest success rate when hunting whitetails up here is in a blinding snowstorm.

I'll be glad to share what I can.

Hope the Lord Blesses your trip!

Marshall

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Marshall,  I've enjoyed your articles about hunting in northern Idaho.  My folks moved to Hayden 6 years ago.  I try to get up there once or twice a year.  I am not familiar with the deer hunting zones, but I believe I'll be in Bonner County.  I am using a local guide so I should stay out of trouble.

Are those Guide Boots you mentioned pac boots?  I have to be prepared to spend as much shooting time as possible in a tree stand.  In California we still hunt with some sitting and glassing mixed in.  Sitting in trees is something new.  My guide suggested those chemical hand & foot warmers help a person stay comfortable  and it is therefore easyer to remain absolutely still.    

This will be a modern rifle hunt.  I am planning on using my Win. M 70 in  .270 with Weatherby  3x9.  This rig is 25 yrs old and is the one with which I am most familiar.  I ambushed a Black Bear at 10 yds with it this past season and am confident with it.

This is my first out of state hunt and first guided hunt.  It is going to be a loooong year:)  

By the way, where is Dover?  I am figuring up around Sand Point, but I can't find it.

Blessings to you too,

Rick

1 - 3 of 3 Posts