Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it would be interesting to find out what guys are using for their hunting vehicles and post some pics of your favorite hunting vehicles with a description of some of the modifications you made to make it a better hunting vehicle. Not necessarily performance upgrades but more hunting or outdoor related. When I was younger it was cool to have a big cruiser or a station wagon with snow tires, they made a great hunting vehicle. I soon upgraded to 4WD when I was older and had everything from Jeeps to camo Suburbans. Right now I have nothing out of the ordinary to post a pic, just a plain old Dodge pick-up, but I know there must be some cool ones out there that you want to show off. :cool:

PS- Ratty is cool too!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 1943 Willys MB or Jeep for those who don't know. I've been restoring it for a few years, and decided that until it gets to looking really good I'd use it as a hunting buggy. The only modifications I've had to do were convert it to 12 volt and add another rifle rack. Goes anywhere.

·
Banned
12 Posts
john deere gator with electric tilt bed......i only bought the 2x2 version.....with the trail package....i added a cabelas electric winch to the brush guard.....awesome vehicle......i love it...its a workhorse....a work saver too. never had it stuck.

·
Premium Member
2,775 Posts
I had a '76 CJ5 that I loved. It had a V-8 engine and enough power to pull anyone out of the mud, but it did require a lot of TLC. The warranty just didn't cover enough anymore, so I sold it and bought a Polaris Ranger 800 cc with a high rack seat in the back. Great vehicle to hunt out of. I can pull up 200 yards from a corned trail or feeder and climb up top to hunt. I posted a picture on the game pole section about pigs.

·
Banned
217 Posts
In the past I usually had jeeps of one description or other CJ5, CJ7, J10, Renegade or other for about 3 years I had a 4x4 Dodge Dakota. this past year, no kidding, I used a Chrysler Sebring Convertable. It got me there and back but I am hoping to get a 4x4 after income tax comes in.

Regards
Gene

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had a '76 CJ5 that I loved. It had a V-8 engine and enough power to pull anyone out of the mud, but it did require a lot of TLC. The warranty just didn't cover enough anymore, so I sold it and bought a Polaris Ranger 800 cc with a high rack seat in the back. Great vehicle to hunt out of. I can pull up 200 yards from a corned trail or feeder and climb up top to hunt. I posted a picture on the game pole section about pigs.
I had a '67 CJ5 that was a great hunting vehicle, just not enough room for me now.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
37,107 Posts
My 68 Bronco was great, but a gas-guzzling pig, and temperamental to start on cold mornings. The 600+ CFM carburetor didn't help matters, either. Wish I still had it, though! With the top off and the windshield down, it was a pig-killing machine.

Right now I've got an 89 Bronco II.... yeah I know, not really a classic 4x4.... but fuel injection starts instantly on cold mornings, and it burns a lot less gas. Only real issue is that the 4 wheel drive is a sometimes thing on that truck and make sure it's well and truly engaged before going anywhere you'll need it.

I may get ambitious and put a locker in the back axle, after last weekend. Manual front hubs are a good idea too.

·
Banned
415 Posts
A pig killing machine, eh?

I have a chicken killing machine. 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel. No hunting modifications whatsoever...other than the sun visor (or "bonnet", for some of you older guys! =P). I get prarie chickens hitting the windshield all the time, and they slide right up and get stuck under the visor. Makes for many nice suppers come November.

·
Banned
199 Posts
Best hunting fourby we ever had was a '71 model short wheelbase Landcruiser with the old Chevy straight six petrol donk and a 3 speed manual box. We took the top off it, and the windscreen would fold down onto the bonnet.

It was unregistered of course, but it'd go anywhere around the property. It was just a bucket of rust though and often seemed like it would rattle to bits on corrugated roads. One night we were spotlighting in a cultivated paddock and my mate Bud was driving like a maniac, his girlfriend's mum was in the front with the spotlight and as we hit a big bump the door flew open and out she went into the darkness, spotty and all!
She broke her hand and Bud had to go looking for a new g/f after that!

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,227 Posts
2002 Chevy 2500 HD 4WD and a 95 Polaris 425 magnum ATV. Usually walk to my hunting area but use the ATV to retrieve any deer I kill. Getting to old to drag those danged deer.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Same here Jodum. I have a Yamaha Grizzly but don't usually fire it up unless we have a deer to drag out. I drug a small doe about 500 yds through some thick areas in the woods where there was alot of windfall and the ATV use would have been a pain, I was ringing wet by the time I was done.

·
Elk Whisperer (Super Moderator)
11,517 Posts
'78 Bronco, 400M, 268H COMP cam, 650 Eldlbrock on an Edlebrock 400M torquer manifold, 373 gears, hand crafted 2 1/2" dual exhaust with Thrush turbo mufflers.. She's puttin' at least 375 hp to the ground.

Here's "doc" with it before the Army gave him a haircut

Here's the power plant

"Doc" hand crafting the exhaust system.

Me tuning on the carb.

The next project, a 72 Blazer CST (it's for sale)

Goldie my '01 PowerStroke. She hauls the mail, dead elk, water, and the horses.

And finally my "four leggers" can't take a Gator, Polaris, Yamaha, Honda OR an Argo where they can go.

RJ

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
I have a '02 Silverado 4x4 and 2 ATV's that get used as hunting rigs. Of the ATVs, I use a Prairie 700 except when it's really muddy then the Rubicon gets the nod. Both ATV's are equiped with winches which have proved to be worth their weight in gold.

The vehicles take me close to where I'm going to hunt then the rest is done on foot. The exception is when shooting prairie dogs. The ATVs get used as a motorized shooting bench.

·
Registered
147 Posts
i've got a 08 ford f-250 super duty and a 05 polaris sportsman 700
the atv i use to bring game out and to replenish bear bait

·
Registered
573 Posts
Boots, Gortex liners, Vibram soles, rubber rand up the toe and full grain leather. don't leave home without them.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts