Shooters Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have Been Experimenting With The Lazer-cast 250 Rnfp At A Velocity Of 1400 Fps. This Bullet Only Has A .260 Nose But Has Shown Very Good Penetration. I Realize A Swc Or Lbt Would Open Larger Holes, However, This Bullet Seems To Penetrate Out Of Porportion To It's Weight. I Looked Up The Relative Penetration On The Btb Site And It Works Out To Actually Beat The 420 Gr Bullet With A .340 Nose, Which Represents The .475. I Do't Shoot Alot Of Different Calibers And Was Wondering If Anyone Has Used This Bullet Type On Game And Also How This Load Would Stack Up To Something Like The Garrett 310 Gr. Load In A Real Life Penetration Test.

·
Super Moderator
3,365 Posts
Indeed the bullet has great penetration potential. I might be a little concerned about the smallish meplat in comparison to other comparable weight bullets that you could choose.

Take a look at the wound-channel-calculator for a quick comparison.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/calculators/php/wound.htm

This might shed some more useful light upon the issue for you.

God Bless,

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Vandy, I would go for a larger meplat. Even a .357 can be had with a 0.280" meplat, and that is about the minimum I would personally use for handgun hunting with a non-expanding bullet. It is not only the size of the meplat but how abrupt the edges of it are. If it's quite rounded at the edge then it will slip through tissue more easily, hence the great penetration but less wound channel.

It's all a matter of trade-offs. In .45 cal, you can easily get a much bigger meplat so why not? Even a common 250-255gr. SWC will generally have at least a 0.300" meplat and with some tinkering these may feed in a .45 Auto.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MikeG said:
Vandy, I would go for a larger meplat. Even a .357 can be had with a 0.280" meplat, and that is about the minimum I would personally use for handgun hunting with a non-expanding bullet. It is not only the size of the meplat but how abrupt the edges of it are. If it's quite rounded at the edge then it will slip through tissue more easily, hence the great penetration but less wound channel.

It's all a matter of trade-offs. In .45 cal, you can easily get a much bigger meplat so why not? Even a common 250-255gr. SWC will generally have at least a 0.300" meplat and with some tinkering these may feed in a .45 Auto.
ACTUALLY THE 255 AND 265 WFN BULLETS FEED 100% OF THE TIME IN MY 1911. I BELIEVE ALOT OF THESE FEEDING PROBLEMS PEOPLE HAVE ARE DUE TO MAGS. MORE THAN THE GUN, I USE WILSON 7 RD. MAGS ONLY. THE WFN BULLETS HAVE WORKED ON BOAR BUT I WAS SIMPLY CURIOUS AS TO HOW MUCH PENETRATION I COULD EXPECT WITH THE 250 RNFP AT 1400 THRU REALLY BIG GAME.

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,312 Posts
Vandy, would love to hear more details of your boar hunting with the .45 ACP. I have carried a .45 auton in the field when pig hunting but have not had a chance to use it.

My P90 will feed the 260gr. WFN, but it has to be seated pretty deep. The standard off-the-shelf 255gr. SWC takes up less of the case and seems to be OK around 900fps. Have been intending to try some other bullets but haven't gotten around to it yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MikeG said:
Vandy, would love to hear more details of your boar hunting with the .45 ACP. I have carried a .45 auton in the field when pig hunting but have not had a chance to use it.

My P90 will feed the 260gr. WFN, but it has to be seated pretty deep. The standard off-the-shelf 255gr. SWC takes up less of the case and seems to be OK around 900fps. Have been intending to try some other bullets but haven't gotten around to it yet.
THE CP 265 WFN IS SHORTER IN LENGTH THAN THE 255 SWC, SO I DON'T KNOW HOW MUCH CASE CAPACITY YOU WOULD GAIN WITH THE 255 SWC. I LOAD THE 265 WFN TO 1.195 AND IT FEEDS PERFECTLY, I HAVE TRIED BLUE DOT AND ENFORCER POWDER BUT HAVE SETTLED ON POWER PISTOL. IN A HUNTING LOAD I LIKE TO THINK IN TERMS OF IMPACT VELOCITY INSTEAD OF MUZZEL VELOCITY AND I RUN THE 265 WFN AROUND 1300 FPS. THE PROBLEM WITH HOGS IS THAT THEY CAN VARY SO MUCH IN WEIGHT. ALSO, I THINK WE CAN GET CARRIED AWAY WITH NOSE PROFILES, I DON'T MEAN TO SAY THEY DON'T WORK BUT ALL CAST BULLETS WILL DEFORM THEIR NOSE TO SOME DEGREE IF ENCOUNTING HEAVY BONE OR SHIELD PLATES. I BELIEVE A CERTAIN LEVEL OF VELOCITY IS NEEDED WHEN ENCOUNTERING BONE, WE HAVE ALL HEARD OF THE 220 SWIFT GOING THRU MORE STEEL PLATES THAN THE 458 MAG. AND I BELIEVE VELOCITY HELPS GET THRU THE BONE BEFORE THE BULLET DEFORMS TOO MUCH, OF COURSE YOU NEED MOMENTUM AFTER THAT. JD JONES HAS TOLD ME HE WITNESSED ON 300 GR BULLET AT 1050 FAIL ON THE SHOULDER OF A 350 LB HOG, HOWEVER, I HAVE TAKEN HOGS THIS SIZE WITH THE ABOVE 265 WFN AT 1300 FPS. THESE LOADS REQUIRE A GREAT DEAL OF CUSTOM WORK ON THE GUN, WHICH I HAVE PRETTY STRONG OPINIONS ABOUT, BUT THAT WOULD TAKE UP SEVERAL PAGES. IN SHORT, I THINK YOUR LOAD WOULD WORK ON HOGS UNDER 250 LBS WITHIN 35 YDS, MARSHALL REPORTS VERY GOOD RESULTS WITH THIS LOAD ON DEER AND YOU WILL CERTAINLY GET GOOD TISSUE DESTRUCTION.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts