Shooters Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I showed up at the hunting camp with my 38-55 and just as I thought none of the guys had ever heard of the caliber.I got  the old you ain't gonna hunt with that thing are you?
 Well about 8:45 that morning I was sitting in a hard wood  draw and  a fat spike eating  whitoak acorns strolls by me at about 60 yards out,and a 250 grain hunk of lead finds it's way behind the shoulder and I have meat for the freezer.
 When I get him back to camp,all the guys have to check out  how much damage a hunk of non jacketed lead did,they were all suprised to see a 2 inch hole through both lungs and a broke shoulder on the off side,then they all had to handle and shoot it.they seemed amazed that it didn't kick like a mule and hit whatever they pointed it at.I think I may have started something,I hope their wives forgive me.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shoalbass,

Just make sure that they don't have your home phone and you'll be OK.  

I showed up at the huntin camp last week with my 375 Win BB and everybody was lookin down on my "civil war rifle"... unfortunately I killed a buck with my 280 Ruger late in the day... gonna go back and do the same thing with the 375, show em what a real piece of lead will do.  How do you like that 38-55 Marlin?  I have looked at them, and they feel real good, look so nice!  

If I ever get back over to Hog'town I'll look you up.

Jimmy

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
   Jimmy I am glad to hear you got one,since the last post I have taken 3 more deer with the 38-55. I changed over to a barnes 255 grain original bullet loaded to just over 1800 fps,talk about knockdown when I hit them with it they went down like they was poleaxed. They weren't great big deer they averaged about 100 to 115 pounds field dressed.
   I wanted a 375 win just couldn't find one so I got the closest thing I could find, it gets the job done so I guess its a keeper.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Shoalbass,

I doubt there is anything prettier than that Marlin, I stared at it and I swear it was talkin to me.  If I could just find a way to liberate &#36500 I'd be holding one, but then my Win 94 would get lonely... so I had better stick with what I got and buy more reloading equipment.

My son and I are going this weekend, hope to at least drop a doe with it.  

I am looking at the 255 grainers too, looks like it is a good one!

Good luck, Jimmy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts