Shooters Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had recently purchased a Remington spr 220 in 12ga with 20" barrels and was wondering what game (if any) i would be able to successfully hunt

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
I've used my Stoeger Coach Gun in 12 gauge on pheasants several seasons. With the shorter barrel your sight radius is shortened and shot placement becomes more critical. Usually bust several hundred clay birds in the weeks before opener too condition my mind too the shorter sight radius. First season I shot over 500 rounds on clay targets getting things tuned in especially chokes needed and in what arrangement for the side by side. Found the shotgun effective, quick handling and quick pointing but I needed that split second for fine adjustment of aim before pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I tried squirell huntin with a 20" bbl TOZ 12 ga. I kept blastin the tree trunk a good foot under the squirrels until I realized that with the short barrels, I was looking down on the front bead, instead of along the barrels.

·
Registered
53 Posts
My side by side coach will print slugs 1 Inch above each other at 75 yards. I would face any critter with that performance.. I suspect that the armourer that assembled the barrels , must have registerd the tubes by hand after trying a few shots. Almost like the german gunsmiths that assembled the drilling rifles. Love the short guy, can carry it in my back pocket when hunting. :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Any one have problems with the Stoeger coach guns?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Stoeger Coach Gun in the Hospital

I am not to happy with mine.:mad: One day old and after cleaning all the grease off the gun I oiled it up real nice and opened and closed the action couple dozen times fired the single trigger twice, moved the safety few dozen times, then I went to break open the gun and it was froze shut. I could not open the gun.Took the forearm off and tried to wiggle it to open, frozen solid. Took it to a local gunsmith and he could not open it ether. So off it went to Stoeger, It is been there over 3 weeks, I am still waiting too hear the results. Sound familiar to anyone??? :mad:,

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I have three Stoeger coach guns and have had no problems. My 20 ga coach puts Remington buck hammer slugs side by side at 50 yards. I have carried it with me to my deer stand numerous times but have not had a chance at a shot yet. I carry it a lot in the woods off season as it is light and handy. A slug in one barrel and shot in the other keeps me ready for any situation.

·
Registered
124 Posts
the stoegers are 'famous' for having soft firing pins,after who-knows how much use,they mushroom on the back wehre the hammer smacks them. I had to DRIVE mine out,when they shoujld have just come out easily .
There are after market stainless ones that will last a whole lot longer. Think I got mine from bounty hunter.
Other than that..oh,u have to watch that the busings around the fring pins don't loosen up,if they do,they sneak out and lock the gun up. sound familiar Papa 85 ?

·
Registered
2,537 Posts
Spend some time patterning the gun so you know where it hits. Shot some skeet with mine and did OK. The longer shots were a little more difficult.

·
Piney Woods Moderator
6,267 Posts
I have killed a few squirrels and rabbits with my 20 Ga coach gun. Really handy to carry and rides good in my Ranger. I also use mine for taking out high tree branches when clearing my deer stand shooting lane. A lot easier than a pole saw.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I just picked up a .12 gauge coach gun the other day with 20" bbls. It was made by Liberty. Seems to be a pretty nice gun. I really like the fact that the safety switch on the tang doesn't reset to "safe" upon cocking - I'm thinking that will be a lot better for fast action shooting. Both bbl mic out at .729 which indicates cylinder bore. It is new and the action is fairly stiff, but nothing I can't handle. Has anyone else had any experience with the Liberty coach gun? I haven't hunted with this particular gun, but my muzzle loading shotguns with open bores have been successful to about 25 yards or so. I would think if you used 4 or 2 shot that would help. I've loaded up some protection loads for my coach gun with green dot powder and 9 - .311 round balls (pretty close to "0" buck). That should be pretty wicked out of a cylinder bored, 12 gauge at 10 to 15 feet!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts