Shooters Forum banner

181 - 182 of 182 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
I think a good rule would be anytime you don't have both hands free to hold the firearm or you're not actually holding the firearm it should be unloaded. If you're out hunting and the terrain is so bad that you need to be grabbing things to keep from falling over you need to unload the firearm also. (Unloaded in the field can be defined as nothing in the chamber.) In a vehicle of course is covered by state law.

·
Registered
459 Posts
There is no short blanket statement that covers when a round should be in the chamber or not .
It all depends on how and where you are using the gun . Different hunting and shooting scenarios call for different safe gun use rules . I refuse to hunt with anyone who wants to walk behind me with a round in the chamber . I have seen safety catches pushed off accidently by moving through thick brush . Some poorly adjusted or installed triggers and safeties can drop the sear onto the safety catch if the trigger was just accidentally touched , then when the safety is moved to the off position the gun fires . Test your gun someoone might get a surprise .

181 - 182 of 182 Posts