Shooters Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jerry (GB300wm) and I have a ball this week hunting. Jerry killed a big 175 pound 7 point buck and I killed a small doe and a 145pound 8 point buck. I killed the doe with my 338Win mag and needless to say the 210gr Partition did to the doe what it did to a 5 point buck I killed two weeks ago, instant death.

The 225gr Accubond in my 358Win Ruger M77 Hawkeye is moving 2556fps and let me tell you that the 8 point that was hit with with the 225gr Accubond went down just like a sack of potatoes at 100yds, very impressive indeed.

Here are a few more pictures. We had two deer, two men on the four wheeler and that was just at 700 pounds and going through those swamps was something else.

Well, that is three deer that have fallen for me this year with one buck and one doe to the 210gr Partition out of my 338Win Mag and they dropped right where I shot them and one buck with the 225gr Accubond out of my 358Win and it dropped right where I shot it. NOT BAD NOSLER!!!

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Nosler bullets have always worked well for me, I got a pretty nice 3x4 Mule deer over Thanksgiving with my 25/06 and a 110 grain Accubond, I took two more does with the 110 AB and a nice 14"x14.5" Antelope with a 115 grain Ballistic Tip.

·
Registered
13,246 Posts
Congratulations on a successful hunt and yes, those Nosler bullets work really well. I let a family member borrow my .270 to hunt with in northern MI this last fall and he used it (with 140gr AB's) to harvest a smallish 6-pt. I would imagine the 338WM and 358W would have an even more dramatic effect, on deer.

Then again, my 12 year-old daughter killed a doe that dressed out at 138lbs with an old 44/40 this year...and would you believe it was just as dead as a deer could be, even though it wasn't struck with a ton and a half of energy? :)

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In my Ruger M77 Hawkeye, the magazine space is generous at over 2.990" and my OAL with the 225gr Accubond is 2.880" for accuracy. I use Win brass, TAC powder and 215 Fed primers and this load moves on the average at 2556fps and is 1/2-7/8 on groups at 100yds. Cool cartridge and rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Very nice,

How did the accuobond do for expansion? I heard they can show little on deer size game. It can't be that bad, looks like it worked real well for yah:D

·
Banned
6,248 Posts
Most of my experiences with the Accubond resulted in a pass through (I know that is hard to believe with the measly .25 caliber...) but I had one perfect mushroom recovery this year, it is a picture perfect representation of expansion. I've never had a deer or antelope go more than 20 feet, and most dropped right there.

·
Banned
991 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
cloverleaf, mattsbox99 has pretty well described the usual results of an Accubond. With any bullet shot placement is of the up most importance and along with that is the bullet's construction. I have had positive experiences with the Accubond, Ballistic tip, Sierra GK HBPt, Partition as hunting bullets in the field. Once again, shot placement, shot placement, shot placement and that with a good bullet. :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Its great to see that smile on the old timers face. Such good memories.

I too am up there in age and have hunted with the .358 since 1966.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My creed has always been shot placement then bullet then cartridge, I was just hesitant on the accubond in the 358 winny do to the modest velocity. The NP's in 358 show good expansion down to 1700fps for instance. It's a moot point for me anyways because I feel whear and how I do 90% my hunting is well inside 200yd.

A box of Woodleigh 250gr RN's just arrived in the mail today! So work on next seasons moose load devlopement is under way. I look forward to gathering up few brands for some testing this spring. I have been happy with the accurcy of the speer 250gr and h322. 3" 200yd grouper but wanted a RN bullet for the hemlock infested river bottoms and swamps, you know those moosey spots. Also I would like a pass thur on lung shots so a tougher bullet hear would be good I have seen the a speer come apart once against the off side hide of a bull moose. So might just religate them to deer and bear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts