Shooters Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of us deer hunt with our Cowboy revolvers and leverguns? What are the distances and loads you use?

Thanks,
Timberwolf

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
You bet!

Have shot one deer with the .44 Mag Super Blackhawk, load was 280gr. WFNGC @ 1350fps.

Two with .357 Blackhawk, 180gr. FNGC, ~1200 fps.

One hog with Marlin 336 / .35 Rem / 200 gr. Rem ammo.

Not exactly 'cowboy' loads but I bet the cowboys would have been darn glad to have them!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Ruger SBH - 265 cast swc at 1250 fps - 4 hogs, 12 wildgoats, one stag - longest shot - 80 yds.

Rossi .357 mag carbine - 180 cast truncated cone at 1800 fps - 2 deer, one tapir, 6 capybaras, 2 pacas, 17 wildgoats, 3 hogs, 8 alligators - longest shot - 110 yds

·
Nawth East Moderatah
5,465 Posts
TW
Have taken two deer out of VT. with my Winnie Trapper .45colt( showed you the pic)  The ave. distance for VT was about 40 yd. the first dropped where it stood, and the second went about 15yrds. and threw in the flag!  For both Majestic animals I used 23gr. of H110 with the Sierra 240's{JHC} made for the LC.
 Both bullets were recovered in the far side hide,completely mushroomed and deformed from passing thru the animal.
 I'm patiently waiting for Marshall's 260 bullets[keith style] to use as my hunting round.  I use the 240's in my 4 5/8" Ruger B/W ss also... they are VERY accurate! in the pistol.
 Took some close in coy-dogs with my 625MG using Magtech's cowboy loads. Big bang---dead critter!

·
The Hog Whisperer (Administrator)
36,236 Posts
You bet although they probably don't eat real good!

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Plan on having it with me on my Muley hunt this year, but will not use it unless I get a shot that I don't feel comfortable enough doing with my SRH 454. Hunt with it? Hek Yea I'm going to hunt with it every chance I get:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts