Shooters Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the difference between these and the 98. Are they a Mauser design as well?
Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Husqvarna actions

The first post war commercial Husqvarna sporters were true 98 actions and they are usually very good although lacking an adjustable trigger on most models. Later production rifles, notably the featherweight model and the Husky model were modified small ring Mausers. Although much in favor for light weight rifles I don't consider them as good as the original. The company took shortcuts to reduce costs and used a bolt release which is functional and neat but not the equivalent of the 98 style. Anodized aluminum trigger guards and floor plates were used on the cheaper models as well as a rinky-dink little floor plate release. The last models (Carl Gustaf's)were push feed and were actually pretty good for their type. These later rifles tended to look a little California glossy with odd fore end tip angles and shapes. All that being said they still make into pretty nice sporters no matter which model you have in hand. I always liked their full stock versions and the original 98 Crown Grade is a good substantial rifle. There were quite a few variations and grades available over the years. Some options appear on rifles produced for the European market that rarely showed up on these shores.

You'll also encounter earlier Mauser models (96) that were made into sporters and target rifles but I imagine you know that and were referring to later production.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The one I saw must have been the small ring. I've fallen in love with my FN and am looking for another Mauser action. What are the best ones to look for? I like the Interarms Mark X action, any others to keep my eyes open for?
Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Joel: The book has been written several times on Mausers but I don't have them. Almost any commercial Mauser made by FN will be very good. The commercial Yugoslavian Mausers whether bearing the Interarms or Charles Daly logos are pretty good, meaning good steel and apparently good heat treatment. They usually need a little polishing of rails etc to be smooth. Old commercial Brnos are excellent as are the FN's used by Sako and Browning. Sears (J.C. Higgins) used a good action with some cheaper mods on trigger assy's but it wasn't top of the line for FN. Still a good basis for a start as you can upgrade the trigger and safety etc. The militarys are a mixed bag. Some excellent some very shoddy. Mr. Belk over on Hunt America seems to know them very well and a query to him on a specific rifle would get you the straight goods. Most of the militarys that were made by FN or Mauser Werk are excellent but I would query Mr. Belk as heat treating may have varied in these too. I,m not that familiar with the whole gamut of them. If I see one that looks good I do some research before buying. besto

1 - 5 of 5 Posts