Shooters Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Inactive account
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try the 140 gr Accubond in my Rem 700 .270, but was looking for some real world experience with these new powders. Both claim the same thing (higher velocities, min temp sensitivity), but was curious if someone had hit on an accurate load or had other experiences to share. Usually use RL19 (current preference), 4350 or 4831 with NBT's (no more) and SGK's, with excellent accuracy. Just kinda wanting to start with a totally new load from "scratch," over time, just for fun. I like the experimentation, but would like to pick just one powder to work with.

I will eventually work up a load to (hopefully) same POI with the same powder but the cheaper aforementioned bullets for practice.

Also have some old Winchester Failsafes (without the Lubalox/moly coating) that I may work up a load for, but use only for the most extreme circumstances. Any suggestions here would also be appreciated.

SSL, As always, Thanks and God Bless,
Ryan

·
Super Moderator
14,101 Posts
All I can tell you is that QuickLOAD calculations show RL17 giving about 75 fps more from a 24" tube with a maximum load that fills the space under the bullet just over 92%. That is as compared to Hodgdon's compressed maximum load of Hybrid 100V.

·
Inactive account
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can tell you is that QuickLOAD calculations show RL17 giving about 75 fps more from a 24" tube with at a maximum load that fills the space under the bullet just over 92%. That is as compared to Hodgdon's compressed maximum load of Hybrid 100V.
Is that 75fps faster than the Hybrid 100V? Wow! Alliant claims a 120+ fps increase from RL19, and Hodgdon claims 100+ fps. Will try to find some of the RL17, although I do like the compressed load from the Hybrid... Hmmm, choices, choices...

·
Banned
502 Posts
I would like to know more about the Hybrid 100v powder, I have read the manuals and related information, but how about does any one use this powder?

Thanks,

Jerry

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
What shape is 100V? Where is it manufactured; Oz, the USA, or Canada? Hodgdon lists it with their sphericals, but goes on to describe it as a super-short extruded shape. Just curious.

Comparing Hodgdon data vs. Alliant in 130-135gr. projectiles, R-17 shows ~100ft./sec. higher velocities. Alliant doesn't list a 140 with R-17, but their 150gr. data is only a very few ft./sec. behind Hodgdon's 140-grain data with 100V.

I've only handloaded R-17 in my 25WSSM so far, but I like it. Haven't used 100V at this point.

·
Super Moderator
14,101 Posts
Curious. I wonder if it's a misprint and they meant to use Reloader 17? None of their online loads in that bullet weight include Reloader 7. What charges did they give? I can tell you QuickLOAD thinks the velocity ranking should be the other way around, FWIW.

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Nick, do you subscribe to the notion I've read elsewhere that, based on significant shooting by certain individual(s), QL doesn't predict RL-17's characteristics very well?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.