Shooters Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in a local gun shop today getting a few odds and ends and saw a Savage 110 with a scope sitting in the used gun rack. A closer look revealed that is was a .270 Winchester in a hardwood stock (I tolerate synthetic stocks, but do not really like them) with a 3-9X scope and appeared to be in new condition. This shop has a policy that when a used firearm has been in the rack for 30 days or more, it is subject to a discount. The date the firearm arrived is noted on the hangtag and this one came in around mid-March.

After some discussion, we agreed on a lower price and I put the rifle on lay-away. I have a various rifles and some shoot better than others. Savage rifles will stay right with the guns that come out of the green boxes (yes, I have rifles that came in green boxes). Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Banned
1,404 Posts
Have you become a member of the "Brotherhood of the Barrel Nut" yet? Just unscrew that 270 Win barrel nut and rebarrel with something that tickles you fancy maybe even a wildcat. That'll make you paid up for life member!

·
Registered
357 Posts
They have them priced a little high around here as of late, but they are dropping the prices as we speak. I'm eyeing a 7mm Magnum for 239 that I know can get more knocked off, at least 10%, which will take care of tax. It'll be worth it to me.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hailstone

I have thought about rebarreling some Savage 110 rifles and the possibilities are interesting. At this point, I really like the .270 so this is fine for now. Take care...
Oberndorf

·
Registered
357 Posts
The drawback around here is the lack of short action savages on the used racks. I definately want one so I can rebarrel to a 250 Savage. A thread in this forum helped me decide on the caliber.

All the Savages I own (4) are very good shooters. If I came across one that would not shoot, I wouldn't even let it bother me because I've been sold already.

Try a 140 grain Accubond in your .270 when you get it.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Savage

Well I took the little Savage hunter south today and traded it on an 3006 A bolt In Digital Green as reported on another post .
I had bought the Savage last fall down south, which is for me about four and a half hour drive one way straight .
When at the shop the salesman ,had opened the bolt and cocked the rifle -so there after the action was very smooth . I had not pulled the trigger , since I never do on an empty chamber , so Did not notice that the cocking was done on the bolt uplift , which for me was very stiff. (I suffer from arthritis .)
I sited the gun in and worked the action at home thinking it would wear in , but it remained stiff, requiring one to drop down off the shoulder and hammering the bolt then with one's palm to open . ( be rough with it like the 303).
Yes there is a bolt lift kit and a longer bolt handle to resolve some of this ,but who wants to make another three or four trips again and spend yet more money? I traded it in.
That will be the end of Savage Bolt action rifles for this ol' grump!!
Otherwise the 308W gun shot perfect , as in tiny groups if I did my part .
That my friend is probably why you see so many as new on the used gun rack.
Too bad they have this cocking on bolt lift feature , otherwise I would probly have bought a few more . They sure do shoot .
Happy

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
I will simply state, that the Savage brand of rifles is one of the VERY BEST BUYS on the gun market today! They are very accurate right out of the box and they don't look that bad to his old timer. You certainly do get your moneys worth when you purchase a SAVAGE GUN.:)

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
That's the same Savage 270 I have, I haven't decided weather or not to dump a bunch of $$$$$ into it to see if I can get it to shoot or get rid of it because it shoots minuet of barn from the inside!???

·
Registered
722 Posts
I have a Savage 110 in 270 , that I have had for 25 years , it will drive tacks with a 130 grain SST's, and Barnes TSK. I am about 8 weeks out on getting my 264 barrel for my Savage 110 rebuild.

Savage makes a fine rifle.

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
Otherwise the 308W gun shot perfect , as in tiny groups if I did my part .
That my friend is probably why you see so many as new on the used gun rack.
Too bad they have this cocking on bolt lift feature , otherwise I would probly have bought a few more . They sure do shoot .
Happy

Harry, this may surprise you but the Browning A-bolts cock on the bolt lift too. There is a roller on the firing pin carrier which rides on the shroud cam. This reduces the friction of cocking somewhat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just picked up my first rifle yesterday. Savage 116FCSS Weather Warrior 270 Win. With Accu-stock, Accu-trigger. :)

I put a Redfield Revolution 3-9 x 40 scope on it. Compared it to some more pricey glass, but couldn't see a difference.

Just need to find a range to sight it in!

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Harry, this may surprise you but the Browning A-bolts cock on the bolt lift too. There is a roller on the firing pin carrier which rides on the shroud cam. This reduces the friction of cocking somewhat.
Well I did trade the savage in and brought home an A bolt . The A bolt is smooth and do not feel any resistance at all opening and closing the bolt off the shoulder , where the savage had to be brought down to the waist every time:D

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just ordered up a Savage 116FSAK weather warrior in 300 Win mag on Saturday and I can't wait for it to come in. I do need to pick out some glass for it. I might be able to talk myself into something in the $600-800 range with a max magnification around X22. Any suggestions? how about ammo? Anybody have one in this chambering and know what they like?

·
Registered
11,967 Posts
I think you are gonna be very happy with the rifle. Be sure you let us know what you think of the recoil. If you are shooting factory rounds I'd look for something that offers Nosler Accubonds. Like the hear the range report when you ger her up and running!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Will do. It may be a while. I also have a 45/70, an AR15, a 12Ga and a 1911 to take on their first trip to the range so it may be a while before I get to the .300 just on the fact that I have a lot of business at the range. I also have to wait for my shooting hand to heal up before I shoot much. I'm having a heck of a time with carpal tunnel, kind of takes the fun out af a trip to the range if you know what I mean.

·
Banned
3,948 Posts
Helix, if your going to be punching a lot of paper with your .300 Win mag, I suggest you try the Sierra 190 grain BT bullet. This brand and type always made my .300 Win mags shoot nice little groups at 100, 200, 400 & 500 yards. Now if your speaking of a hunting bullet, yes I agree with the other poster that Nosler Accubonds do a very good job! I use them with my .300 Win mag and my .338 Win mag and a couple of wildcats to boot.

Also you might try for a hunting scope on your .300 mag, one of those Bushnell 5 x 15 power with "mill-dots" & AO, they will save you a bunch of money over the Leupolds etc. I have a 6 x 20 Leupold on one of my stationary predator rifles and I don't like it as much as the mil-dot Bushnell modell.

·
Registered
583 Posts
thanks I'll look at the bushnells a little closer. I was considering a Nikon Monarch or a Vortex.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I know that Savages shoot well. I reload for and have shot several that friends own. I know that they have AccuTrigger etc and are a good value firearm.

I simply don't like the way they look with the bolt handle at the very end of the bolt. May sound crazy, but they are just not my "picture" of the perfect bolt action rifle.

Don't be offended, but "classic" looks are important to me for firearm purchases.

Barstool

·
Banned
2,380 Posts
to each his own..if i had not bought the first 110 ,,id never have known the degree of accuracy,,i could achieve with a centerfire..
..accurate right out the box..
how savage does it that cheap ,don t matter to me.. i just know they consistantly do it..an accurate rifle.. is beautiful to me..
i m not going for wall ornaments ..im going for accurate rifles at a price i can afford.. jmo slim
not to offend.. like i said ,,to each his own..celebrate our differences..:)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts